Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th January 2005, 13:23

Martin Urry
Missing SAAF B-24 Liberator 12 October 1944

Hi,

I am trying to find out what happened to South African Air Force Liberator KH158 that went missing on the night of 12 October 1944. They were based at Foggia and were on a supply dropping mission to the Italian Partisans just inland from Genoa. They would have flown west from Foggia and then north-west over the Mediterranean and Ligurian seas to Genoa, on that night the wind changed 180 degrees and it is thought they were further west, possibly over Corsica. Are there any records of crashes on Corsica or can anyone help with this search.

Many thanks,

Martin Urry
Old 4th January 2005, 13:30

Linzee
Re: Missing SAAF B-24 Liberator 12 October 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Urry
Hi,

I am trying to find out what happened to South African Air Force Liberator KH158 that went missing on the night of 12 October 1944. They were based at Foggia and were on a supply dropping mission to the Italian Partisans just inland from Genoa. They would have flown west from Foggia and then north-west over the Mediterranean and Ligurian seas to Genoa, on that night the wind changed 180 degrees and it is thought they were further west, possibly over Corsica. Are there any records of crashes on Corsica or can anyone help with this search.

Many thanks,

Martin Urry
Martin, have you been in contact with Anne Storm with regard to this aircraft? I understand that she has been researching the loss for several years now as her father was onboard. Try e-mailing storm04ATglobalnet.co.uk (remove the AT and replace with @)
Old 6th January 2005, 11:38

Martin Urry
Hi Linzee,

Yes, I know Anne well, my uncle was the pilot of this aircraft.

Martin