Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st December 2018, 22:39
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
World War II Sea War, Volume 12: Anzio, Kwajalein, Eniwetok and the Admiralty Islands [off topic]

The author and associates are now on Volume 12 of a chronology of all Naval engagements in at least two theaters. I've not heard of this series before but that may due the fact that the latest offering is only available as a PDF.

The description (as is):

"Volume 12 covers all naval engagements during the first three months of 1944. In the Pacific, US Operation Cartwheel successfully isolates the strong Japanese force at Rabaul. US and Australian forces advance along the New Guinea coast toward the Philippines. The US Navy wages the air attack on Truk, then captures the Gilbert and Marshall Islands. Meanwhile in Europe, the Allies invade Italy at Anzio and prepare for their landing at Norma"

http://www.lulu.com/shop/don-kindell...-23650368.html

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 2nd December 2018, 00:51
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: World War II Sea War, Volume 12: Anzio, Kwajalein, Eniwetok and the Admiralty Islands [off topic]

Hello,

The book is also available as a paperback:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/donald-a-be...-23648199.html

Col.
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:13
Alter Hase

Re: World War II Sea War, Volume 12: Anzio, Kwajalein, Eniwetok and the Admiralty Islands [off topic]

Thank you. At 8 1/2 by 11 inches and 454 pages, it may be worth getting.

Ed
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:49
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...……….This title raises some questions, at least for me. It looks like a slightly altered edition of Samuel Eliot Morison's History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, 15 volumes. (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1951-60) or perhaps a knock-off of Morison. Very strange and surprising.

LuLu, on the other hand, is a new one to me. They are a Print on Demand jobber and do not reveal where they are located. Their motto is:

"You do the selling, we do the printing."

L.
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:57
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...……….This title raises some questions, at least for me. It looks like a slightly altered edition of Samuel Eliot Morison's History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, 15 volumes. (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1951-60) or perhaps a knock-off of Morison. Very strange and surprising.

LuLu, on the other hand, is a new one to me. They are a Print on Demand jobber and do not reveal where they are located. Their motto is:

"You do the selling, we do the printing."

L.
Old 2nd December 2018, 04:40
Alter Hase

You're right, Larry. I need to do some better vetting of new and little-known publishers. I looked over what amazon.com had from volume one to 12. No reviews. That said, the Stone & Stone site, which I highly regard, missed the series up to volume 10. They had this to say:

http://books.stonebooks.com/reviews/170129.shtml

Lulu is located in Morrisville, North Carolina.
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:40

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

I have the volumes up to Vol8 and I think they are quite good, though the authors are obviously better acquainted with ships than they are with a/c and you will spot this quite quickly

Cannot comment whether they plagiarise other authors as this is the only source I have on naval operations.

The coverage is a bit varied and in the early volumes the most detail is on RN movements. I think I read somewhere that they started with a database of RN operations and then expanded it to cover other navies. Given the activities of the USN later in the war the later volumes are going to become USN-centric

Martin
Old 2nd December 2018, 16:19
Alter Hase

Thank you Ed and Martin for the additional details. After your insight plus the Stone & Stone review, it is much, much more similar to Jurgen Rohwer's excellent Chronology of the War at Sea, 1939-1945: The Naval History of World War Two, than it is to the Samuel Eliot Morison history.

Rohwer, of course, is in print and on the internet ( https://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/chronik.htm#Z ) and I always thought this was packed with an incredible amount of detail. Before buying, I think I might want to compare Rohwer and this new series of books to see if the additional detail justifies the expenditure. That said, I wish the authors Bertke, Kindell and Smith all the best but I am sure they and the publishers they may have gone to would make this comparison and this would have an impact on sales.

L.

Last edited by Larry deZeng; 2nd December 2018 at 16:25. Reason: Added a line.
Old 2nd December 2018, 16:36
Alter Hase

Thank you Ed and Martin for the additional details. After your insight plus the Stone & Stone review, it is much, much more similar to Jurgen Rohwer's excellent Chronology of the War at Sea, 1939-1945: The Naval History of World War Two, than it is to the Samuel Eliot Morison history.

Rohwer, of course, is in print and on the internet ( https://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/chronik.htm#Z ) and I always thought this was packed with an incredible amount of detail. Before buying, I think I might want to compare Rohwer and this new series of books to see if the additional detail justifies the expenditure.

L.
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:53
Alter Hase

Good advice, Larry. I think the majority of us prefer to get the best book or book series for the money.

Ed