Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th May 2011, 19:43
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Red Stars 7: The Winter War in the Air

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...oducts_id=7973

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 28th May 2011, 00:03

mars
Re: Red Stars 7: The Winter War in the Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest View Post
This does not sound right, according to your link, the title of the book is :
"Red Stars 07: The WINTER WAR in the Air Baltic Fleet Air Force in Winter War", and this is exactly the same as the "Red Stars 5" Which I bought several years ago, but according the cover of this book, the title of the book should be "Red Stars 07: The WINTER WAR in the Air", so I get a little confused, is this a extend version of the red star 5? Or that web site makes a mistake and post the description of Red Stars 05 as entire new book Red Stars 07?
I know Mr Geust is a member of this forum, would he be kind enough to explain this to me? I consider Mr Geust's book a must have, but I do not want to buy same book twice.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:40
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

The Publisher's web site does not list the book yet:
http://www.apali.fi/kauppa/product_catalog.php?c=13

I also believe Mr. Geust's books are a must-have for people interested in the Soviet air force and the air war in the North.
Old 29th May 2011, 19:29

mars

I guess "Red Stars 07" would be a book about the VVS units in the winter war, Christian-Schmidt just made a mistake and post the book description of the "Red Stars 05" which was about the Soviet Baltic Fleet Airforce in the Winter War. I will keep this book in my mind.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:51

Carl-Fredrik Geust

Dear friends,

thank you for your interest in my books Red Stars 5 (published in 2004 together with Samuil Tirkeltaub and Gennadiy Petrov; both from St.Petersburg), and the recent Red Stars 7 (with me as sole author). These two books are entirely different, as is indicated by the subtitles:

- RS 5 - "Baltic Fleet Air Force in Winter War" (192 pages, day-by day chronicle of VVS KBF from 30 Nov 1939 to 13 March 1940),
- while RS 7 - "The Winter War in the air" describes the air operations along the over 1000 km long land border from Gulf of Finland up to the Arctic Ocean.

RS 7 is in fact a "VVS RKKA encyclopedia" on 352 pages, incorporating history and war chronicle of ALL participating VVS RKKA units, from VVS RKKA command, Army Air Forces [eg. VVS 7.A etc], Aviation Brigades [ABr], Aviation Regiments [IAP etc], down to Detached Aviation Escadrilles [OAE], Detached Aviation Units [OAO], Aviation Groups [AG] and Civil Aviation Fleet units. Appendices include OoB (30 Nov 1939 and 13 Mar 1940), full lists of HSUs, personell losses, AF bases and numbers, target codes etc.

The back cover text of the publisher reads as follows:
" The seventh volume of the acclaimed Red Stars-book series by the well-known aviation historian Carl-Fredrik Geust presents the operations of the Soviet Air Force (VVS) along the long Finnish-Soviet front during the Winter war 1939-1940. The extremely detailed unit and combat chronicles are based on extensive archive research in Russia and Finland. The text is accompanied by over 320 top quality photos (most of which most are published for the first time ever), 28 color profiles and 5 maps. The Soviet Air Force Order of Battle 30 Nov 1939 and 13 Mar 1940, AF Unit Numbers, AF Bases, Aerial Victory Claims and Losses are presented in detailled data tables."

Waiting for the comments of the esteemed Board membership,
Carl-Fredrik Geust
Old 14th June 2011, 13:27

mars

Thank you, I was told it would be available in July, I will place my order then
Old 14th June 2011, 14:07

Carl-Fredrik Geust

Red Stars Vol. 7 was published already 2 April 2011 at the Finnish Aviation Museum (at Helsinki-Vantaa airport), and can thus be ordered at once. Both the publisher (myynti@apali.fi) and Aviation Shop in Helsinki (shop@aviationshop.fi; see http://www.aviationshop.fi/index.php...sort=5a&page=2)
are selling the book for 45 EUR + postage.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:16

mars

That is great, I will contact them. And Dénes, if you do a search, you could find this book

http://www.aviationshop.fi/product_i...oducts_id=2469
Old 18th June 2011, 00:40

mars

hi, Mr Geust. I just sent you a PM
Old 18th June 2011, 08:51
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen the book. It is basically very similar to the Red Stars 5, only about twice longer. Excellent book!