Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd May 2019, 07:50
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Fw/Ofw Jaenicke/Jänicke 1./ZG 76

Above flew as Rottenfliger to Helmut Lent 1939-40 before becoming a night fighter. Although I have photos of him, I am trying to find his Christian name. No kills, no awards-bit of a mystery man. Theo & Matti have drawn a blank
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:53

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw/Ofw Jaenicke/Jänicke 1./ZG 76

Hello Chris,

Ofw. Jänicke (also written as Jaenicke) appears several times in my documentation:
1) he is on a list of 3./NJG 1 crews with Oblt.Hansen, Oblt.Lent, Oblt.Böhmel, Oblt.Kettling (we discussed this some years ago), Lt.Bender, Ofw.Herzog, Ofw.Rossbach, Ofw.Schönherr and Fw.Mütschele. We all know that some stayed with the I./NJG 1, some went to the II./NJG 1 and others like Kettling continued with the Zerstörer. The list has no date but might be composed around the time that Hansen's 1./ZG 76 was about to become the 3./NJG 1.
Jänicke's Bordfunker was Uffz. Fritz Grundmann.
2) Jänicke (and Grundmann) are also on a list of 3./NJG 1 crews, allegedly composed in early October 1940. On this list: Oblt. Hansen, Lt.Bender, Ofw.Herzog, Ofw.Rossbach, Fw.Schlecht.

It seems that Jänicke's career in the nightfighter force ended not much later: he does not appear again in a unofficial/unpublished I./NJG 1 history and his regular Bordfunker Fritz Grundmann died with Ofw. Hans-Heinz Wegener (3./NJG 1) on 29th June 1941.

You will find another nightfighter pilot Jänicke: Helmut Albert Georg (born 27th November 1921), he actually was with the 2./NJG 1 in April 1944 (He219 conversion) but moved to the II./NJG 1 where he was hospitalized on 22th August 1944. I have no further data on him, but he is portraited in a photo album of doctor Siecke, medical officer of the I./NJG 1. Siecke's comment: Uffz. Jänicke, 2./NJG 1

Best regards, Marcel
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:33
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Marcel: This accords with me. I wonder if he was commissioned and if so, the only one that could possible be him was Fritz Jaenicke
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:19
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for sharing these interesting details on Jänicke. The Uffz. Helmut Jänicke that you mention at the end of your posting achieved two night Abschüsse with 6./NJG1 in November 1944 and survived the war. In the NCA 1944 series, I will publish a lengthy account written by him about his first Abschuss.

Cheers, Theo