Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th July 2018, 19:52

NickM
Re: Heinz Marquardt and Kurt Tanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hi Guys

Sorry Nick about the Hector, must have just caught your surname before typing.
I am flattered that a fifth volume would be well accepted. As I say John Foreman is seventy-six now and doesn't feel he can squeeze a fifth volume out of himself(certainly not at the moment), but given time and a little coaching I might be able to manage it.
Personally I spent thirty-six year collating the information prior to publication, and worked with John for fifteen years on it, I would send him hundreds if not thousands of amendments/corrections over this period. So for fifteen years I came home from work did some rowing(1000 km per year), ate whilst still sweating, and researched until sleep time, up in the early hours to do more research, before going to work.

Basically I am for the small scoring pilots, so I would personally like to publish additions/amendments to volume one to four aces, I have collated a lot of information not on the mikrofilms since publication, especially 1945. Also would like to do a section on new aces know to me, a section on possible aces i.e not five confirmed claims, but five plus possible, a list of ALL known claimers to myself......some 7600 pilots totalling 66600 confirmed claims. I have just worked on an article with Erik Mombeek about the "points system" and how a claim was actually made paperwork wise and think a section on this may be helpful, this article with Erik also dwelled upon rudder markings and there differing types.
I have had so much help, especially since publication by so many enlightening people who all have my most sincere thanks.

Kind Regards

Johannes

It's occurred to me that men like You, John Foreman and Chris Shores are getting 'up there, in years'. What will happen to all those projects when they all get too old to work or worse, pass beyond the veil? Do they and You have younger researchers helping on book projects who can step in & finish the work and 'carry on' the research?

NM
Old 15th July 2018, 20:25
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

NM's Question might be crucial. I have the Impression that most airwar enthusiasts are considerably older than me (36) not to mention the authors.

Michael
Old 16th July 2018, 21:48

NickM
Smile Re: Heinz Marquardt and Kurt Tanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
NM's Question might be crucial. I have the Impression that most airwar enthusiasts are considerably older than me (36) not to mention the authors.

Michael

While I am physically considerably older than you---I sure don't act my age!
Old 17th July 2018, 05:14

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree this is a very important issue.
I personally have seen many people - friends and acquaintances - pursue their interests later in life, usually after retirement, only for the fruits of their passion to be crudely disposed of after they pass on to whatever comes next.
The digital age makes this even more a problem. What good is all the researched and accumulated information if it simply disappears or becomes inaccessible once the inevitable has come to pass?
Perhaps the topic is worthy of its own thread, although I'm not sure anyone will be willing to discuss their "succession" plans.
Peter
Old 17th July 2018, 06:49

Russell is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Heinz Marquardt and Kurt Tanzer

Peter,

The issue has certainly occurred to us, speaking as a member of Chris Shores team for at least 33 years, (we started serious work on Above the Trenches in 1985). We have talked about the matter more than once.

In my case the issue is what to do with my book collection, especially if some deserving historian in Europe wishes to acquire it, of how to ship it there. Or would they want all, or only a few of the books out of the 6000 or so!. Then there is what to do with photos, CD's microfilms etc etc. I don't have many microfilms (but I do have a set of the famous claims films) and barely a thousand photos. What people will do who have thousands of microfilms and tens of thousands of photos of Ultra info etc, who knows.

Lastly what to do with what is on our computers. For example if my computer was junked that would lose 70 per cent of the Air 27's for the Mediterranean area, let alone claims and casualty lists etc., Instead of a researcher being able to inherit
the info they would have to bleed to death to buy them. It would be a waste.

The younger historians we are aware of are probably nearer 40 than 30, so who knows how to define young.

My own view is that Societies or Trusts, set up by donations from people who no longer need to worry about money or records, could the way to go, but who wants to do such a permanent task?

Thoughts welcome as this is a very serious issue.

Regards

Russell
Old 17th July 2018, 08:38

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Yes, a tough ask. Shooting from the hip, one vision might be -

First, I think everything must be digitised. Accumulating and storing all the books, photos etc would probably be out of the realms of possibility, and looking forward I doubt people will travel to 'the mountain' as they have in the past to see the information anyway. Hell, I've got friends in their late 70's ordering and reading eBooks from the local libraries using their PC's in the comfort of their own home. The kids nowadays want everything electronic and instant. And I doubt they'll want to pay for it, although selling memberships to whatever is set up might be an option. So the mountain will need to be able to go to the people.

What is set up would become some sort of Legacy to all those who spent immeasurable amounts of their time, sweat, sanity and money to accumulate the information. The details of what and how to set up I'd leave to experts, but I'd say once the information is digitised it could be easily stored and managed. Either like a library with loans, returns etc, or simply as a searchable database or databases.

Payment to those who contribute? Maybe, based on loan-outs, downloads, whatever. Who pays? Dunno. I figure people will only pay for something if it is important to them. To our generation, what happened in WW2 (and other wars) probably has enough importance to entice us to pay for the information. Our children? Probably not. If anything, they'll be more interested in Syria, the coming China wars, WW3.

So if we want the information so painstakingly accumulated to live on, it will probably need to be free. Otherwise you run a real risk that nobody will bother to look at it. What good is it then?

Peter

Last edited by Nick Beale; 17th July 2018 at 09:25. Reason: added some paragraph breaks
Old 18th July 2018, 00:55
Alter Hase

Good evening,

if my kids show no signs of airwar enthusiasm I will not encourage them because I will rather promote hobbies that improve performance at school and physical fitness. My collection would be difficult to sell. Therefore I will give it to one of my eMail mates, maybe a German because some of my books are in my mothertongue.

Michael
Old 2nd September 2018, 20:43
Alter Hase

Good evening Gentlemen,

I'm still very interested in any proof for Kurt Tanzer having or having not scored 128/143 kills.
These are the higher figures indicated in some books:
  • Toliver/Constable (1968): 143 kills, 4 four-engined planes
  • Musciano (1982): 143 kills
  • Aders/Held (1993): 128 kills, 111 with JG51, 17 in the West <=> 4 four-engined planes
  • Weal (1995): 143 kills, 126 in the east
  • Weal (2001): 143 kills, 126 in the east; 35 at the time of the award of the KC
Kind regards,

Michael
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:31
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

In respect of John Foreman's health, having spoken to him a week or so ago, he seems as well as to be expected mindful of his age. As to old and bold researchers and writers retiring, this is what I have been looking at in respect of a symposium of writers/researchers/historians/publishers in 2019 looking towards the future and helping the 'news kids on the block' so to speak
Old 5th September 2018, 14:23
Alter Hase

Hello,

I'm rooting for Mr Foreman's health.
Is he a forum member, too ?

Michael