Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th February 2010, 17:01

boggie 1 is on a distinguished road
rlm colors-eric hartman

hi all. i am a newbe here and am still weaving my way through all the interesting info here. my main search right now is a modeling project i am doing of eric hartmans 109g-6/14 flown aprox in august 1944. i am trying to confirm the rlm colors used in the camoflage of this aircraft. i have the rlm codes of 74/75/76, the standard colors, but have come across some info that hints that at some point rlm 70-black green may have been oversprayed possibly over the rlm 74 grey green, in the field. does anyone have any info or conf. on rlm 70 being used on this aircraft or any other hartman had flown?
p.s.- the aircraft i am making did not have the scallop/tulip pattern on the nose and the whole chin and underside wing tips were rlm 04 yellow.

thanks in advance-joe.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:32

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road
Re: rlm colors-eric hartman

I think you are referring to this interesting article by Michael Ullman. It's mainly about JG54 but right at the the end is a short article on one of Hartmann's "Yellow 1's"

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/jg54colorsmu_1.htm

Edit: I went looking through my books and found another picture of the same aircraft taken from a slightly different angle. In that photo the camoflage looks very standard. The darkest fuselagecolor matches the darkest wingcolor perfectly - and they are both lighter than the RLM70 of the prop-blades. The different shades in Ullman's photo might be an effect of the sun being reflected much better by the fuselage than the wings due to the angle from wich the photo is taken. The sun must be pretty low since there's not much shadow under the left wing, so the sun is reflected fully by the fuselage but less by the wing.

Cheers! / Anders

Last edited by Cpt_Farrel; 28th February 2010 at 23:50.
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:02

boggie 1 is on a distinguished road

thank you very much capt. that was very interesting. i was actually thinking of doing the altered camo on the wings only myself. i just have to find out if and or when this particular plane was altered. it may have flown in both camo verisions.then again maybe not since hartmans planes were known to take a lot of damage due to his techniec in combat.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:14

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road

It's a possibility off course, but I believe that the photgraph I saw was taken at the same time as the one used by Ullman. The surroundings, the light and the weather seems to point that way at least. Just my two cents...