Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 19th July 2017, 04:53

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road
4th March 1944: 5th AF/RAAF claims

I'm trying to sort out the claims/credits on this date. This is what I have thus far:

35th FG

Maj William F McDonough: Ki-61 destroyed; 1130 Gusap

Capt Frederick C Harries: e/a destroyed; time/location ?

40th FS

1stLt William H Strand: Ki-43 damaged; Wewak area

41st FS

2ndLt Paul L Lorick: e/a destroyed; time/location ?

1stLt Edward S Park: e/a destroyed; ditto

75 Sqn RAAF

S/L Colin W Lindeman & F/Sgt Alfred E Stuart: Ki-43 damaged (upgraded to destroyed ?); 1145 south of But

Eric Hammel (Air War Pacific Chronology) indicates two Japanese fighters were claimed destroyed in the Wewak area at 1115, and another two over the Bogadjim road at 1220, plus McDonough's claim. However, USAF Historical Study No 85 lists four credits for this date in SWPA.

Any constructive input welcome.

Cheers,

Bruce
Old 2nd August 2017, 07:39

Re: 4th March 1944: 5th AF/RAAF claims

41st FS

Edwards Park: Ki-61 destroyed; location ?

Apparently his only victory, the location seems to either the Wewak area or near Gusap.
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:57

Col Bruggy is on a distinguished road

Bruce,

Have you read Parks' autobiography?

He has this to say about his opponent:

"As for the Jap pilot, I often wonder whether he got down all right and survived the war. If I should go to Japan, I might stop a few likely looking old men in bars - small men with fast reactions - and through a interpreter find out if they'd once flown fighters in New Guinea, if they'd once strafed Gusap, and then been shot down by a P-47, and bailed out over the Bogadgim Road. If one says yes, I'd tell him he owes me."

See:
Angel's Twenty.
Park,Ted
St Lucia:University of Queensland Press,1994 (s/b).
p.173.

Park wrote another book entitled, Nanette, an exaggeration by Edwards Park (London:Andre Deutsch,1978). This book focuses on his P-39 "Nanette". He also worked on papers and magazines in Australia post-war.

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people...ark/index.html

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people.../obituary.html

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 2nd August 2017 at 13:02.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:04

Frank Olynyk

Strand: 1115, Oscar dam, Wewak
1st Lt Jack L Marvin: 1115, Tony dam, Muschu I
Marvin: 1115, Zeke claimed dest credited as probable, SE of Wewak
1st Lt John R Young: 1115, Tony claimed dest credited as prob, Muschu I
McDonough: 1130, Tony, 5 m NW of A/S No. 5, Gusap
Harries: 1130, Zeke, 50 m SE of Wewak
Park, 1220, Tony, over Bogadjim Road
Lorick, 1220, Tony, over Bogadjim Road

Individual Combat Reports for all of these can be found on NARA Microfilm Series M-1065 reel 6, except for Harries which is on reel 4. (9 reels total, not all contain ICRs, some have only (Preliminary) (Narrative) Mission Reports. The microfilms cover 5th Fighter Command from about the end of 1942 to the end of the war.

Lindeman & Stuart: 1145, Oscar dam, 10 m S of But

Combat reports and ORB for this claim on microfilm from the RAAF Historical Office. No indication of an upgrade.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:22

Thanks Col. I haven't read his books yet but became aware of them after visiting www.pacificwrecks.com some while ago.

Thankyou Frank. I've seen some period newspaper articles that suggest 75 was granted a kill. And an article in RAAF SAGA (1944 Xmas book) does the same, although the objectivity of both can be questioned.

Bruce
Old 21st September 2017, 06:51

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Bruce,

Have you read Parks' autobiography?

He has this to say about his opponent:

"As for the Jap pilot, I often wonder whether he got down all right and survived the war. If I should go to Japan, I might stop a few likely looking old men in bars - small men with fast reactions - and through a interpreter find out if they'd once flown fighters in New Guinea, if they'd once strafed Gusap, and then been shot down by a P-47, and bailed out over the Bogadgim Road. If one says yes, I'd tell him he owes me."

See:
Angel's Twenty.
Park,Ted
St Lucia:University of Queensland Press,1994 (s/b).
p.173.

Park wrote another book entitled, Nanette, an exaggeration by Edwards Park (London:Andre Deutsch,1978). This book focuses on his P-39 "Nanette". He also worked on papers and magazines in Australia post-war.

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people...ark/index.html

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people.../obituary.html

Col.
I loved 'Nanette'! Park had such a 'unconventional' style of writing and he was definitely not 'ace' material. Rather than a hunter he came across as more 'prey'. It's rare to see stuff from guys who were 'just doing their jobs'.

nm