Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Movies and Documentaries

Movies and Documentaries Please use this forum to review or discuss movies and documentaries.

Old 22nd July 2007, 19:59

BC
Political Correctness and war movies

I watched that classic b/w 1954 film "The Dambusters" on C4 (UK) last weekend, and I could not help but notice that the word/name "Nigger" - Guy Gibson's dog and the code-word for the successful breaching of the Mohne Dam, were completely edited from the soundtrack, presumably for fear of offending "ethnic minorities".

To my mind, this is nothing short of revisionism, as if to say it never happened.

At the risk of opening a can of worms on this one, what do other readers think about this ?

BC
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:27

BillG+4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Political Correctness and war movies

Couldn't agree with you more BC. It would seem that in order to be politically correct it is quite acceptable to virtually re-write history. Thankfully there are those who refuse to follow this course and there is one person I know who has named his black labrador dog "Nigger". Strangely enough, not one non white person who has come into contact with that dog and its owner has shown any adverse reaction!
Regards,
Bill.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:37
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Political Correctness and war movies

There is no such thing as "political correctness." It is a phrase created by people with too much time on their hands and who, apparently, need to rename things to give everyone the illusion that we live in a future that is somehow better than the past. For example, in the past, if you were looking for employment, you went to "personnel," now, you go to "human resources" (perhaps the sign makers of the world are behind this

In any case, revising the past is wrong, but just like the term "political correctness," no one asked my opinion and did it anyway. A bothersome and false/unproductive trend.

Ed