Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th March 2009, 22:27
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking Western Campaign crash locations & crew IDs for 3 shot down KG54

Putkikker, et al.,

I'll make sure that when the EOE airwar histories come out I don't use the term "Holland" in them, and use "the Netherlands," to refer to anything regarding that country (which will be very extensive). I take your point about it being the "official" name, and for "official" purposes I'll not use the term Holland. In the meantime, if I slip in my haste to post something on this website, don't take offense if I mention the term Holland. Absolutely no offense is intended. I had no idea that the terms weren't effectively interchangeable. Having been to the Netherlands 4 times in the last three years doing research, I'm sure that I've used the term Holland in front of my Dutch friends, colleagues and hosts many times, and not once did any of them ever indicate I was doing anything politically incorrect.

Regards
Old 16th March 2009, 23:35

Pieter H is on a distinguished road

Larry,

Trying to get the discussion back from the non-value added Holland vs. the Netherlands discussion (I don't understand all the excitement and apologize for the confusion it causes you) and back to the loss list:

If the 2.(J)/LG2 loss on May 12 is supposed to be in Wons I have a serious problem with that, because reports are confliciting. See also earlier discussions on this board.

So one story (a.o by Jochem Prien and Peter Cornwell) says that 16 Bf109's of I.(J)/LG2 were active over Tongeren in northern Belgium around 09.00, where they were intercepted by A-flight of No 615 Sqn. One was supposed to have landed in the Liege area.

The other story is the crash landing at Wons, or more specifically Pingjum which is close by, both of them at the Wonsstelling that protected the head of the Afsluitdijk. But this crash is consistently attributed to 6.(J)/186.

Now I.(J)/LG2 was stationed on May 10 at Wyk auf Föhr in the north. but apparently moved more south to Nordholz on the 11th (?). But this is above Bremerhafen, still in the north, and (if correct) I still doubt this unit would be active over Tongeren from there.

At the same time an emergency landing at Pingjum on its way back home was only logical if the unit was still stationed at Wyk or Nordholz, but then clearly the unit active over Tongeren must have been another one. In other words the two events are mutually exclusive, and the story is very dependent on what the actual basis was of I.(J)/LG2 on May 12.

So what are the proofs to claim the Pungjum a/c not being from 6.(J)/186 but from 2.(J)/LG2?

Regards, Pieter

PS Yes have received your mail.
Will be travelling coming two weeks, so will do my best to answer as soon as possible.
Old 17th June 2009, 16:49

Sealander is on a distinguished road

Larry,
can you post a copy of the SLUIS picture? I am in that region and I can try to find
out if anything else about this crash is available.
regards
sealander
Old 17th June 2009, 16:53
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Sealander,

Contact me on the personal message board, so that we can exchange email addresses for further correspondence on this issue.

Regards,
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:34

Sealander is on a distinguished road

Larry,
did you get my P.M?
Sealander
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:48
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Sealander,

Yes, I got the post. I'm just behind the curve on working through my email. Will be back to you soon--maybe yet today.

Regards