Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th January 2005, 10:46

Grzesio
A strange Bf 109E...

Hello,

A couple of days ago a number of photos showing a strangely equipped Bf 109E was posted on a Polish discussion forum ( http://www.odkrywca-online.com/pokaz....php?id=150283 ). Sadly, the discussion itself led to no definitive answers about the purpose or properties of the strut suspended under the aircraft. The guy who posted the photos states, he had some of them from his friend, a Luftwaffe collector, while he received the rest via internet from Spain... Strange enough?
Does anybody have any ideas what was this installation intended for? There were many theories - e.g. a flamethrower, refuelling pipe, shaft for towing gliders - none too convincing...

Kind regards

Grzegorz Plonski
Old 26th January 2005, 14:48

Modeldad will become famous soon enough
This was also discussed the other day at HyperScale. I particulary favor the idea that it may be a reproductive organ.

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...;show_parent=1
Old 26th January 2005, 17:48
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
I am of the opinion that this was a smoke discharge device to make it more difficult to accurately shoot at the aircraft. Another possibilty is a flamethrower. At least two photographs exist showing two pipes protruding from the tail of a German bomber. One photo shows the flamethrower ignited while in flight. Source: Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe, Band III.

Ed
Old 26th January 2005, 18:17

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road
...and there was a lengthy discussion here too - http://p069.ezboard.com/fluftwaffeex...picID=29.topic
Old 26th January 2005, 20:46

lritger will become famous soon enough
Those shots came from my site...

... they were sent to me back in 2001 by a friend with the exact same question. He got them from his father, a P-47 crewman in Europe. I redid the page in 2002 and a couple of the images seem to have gone missing- I need to fix that.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articl...in/t_drain.htm

I certainly don't mind them being spread around, but proper credit would be nice...

Now, as to what it is, someone has suggested it is a smoke layer... all well and good, but that's an awfully large amount of kit for such a procedure. I had also heard it might've been involved in high-altitude deicing trials, but it would have to carry a LOT of water to dispense as ice crystals... so ultimately, who knows!

Lynn
Old 26th January 2005, 21:53

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road
Hi Lynn... credit for the image has been added to the thread on the LEMB linked above... Great image nonetheless...
Old 27th January 2005, 09:47

Grzesio
Thanks for the links!
O boy, how could I overlook these discussions earlier?

Regards

Grzesiu
Old 27th January 2005, 12:31
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Didn't the Luftwaffe have a standard smoke dispenser?

The type I have in mind doesn't look anything like this.

Certainly know how the Soviet dispenser looked and its also very different in design, these things would probably not look too different in basic shape and design dictated by function.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 27th January 2005, 15:25
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I do not see any hose, pipe nor inlet/outlet. Frankly, it looks like a mast for a small yacht. I think someone noted that it is similar to some TV antennas flown by US aircraft post-war. Perhaps this is a simple question for someone interested in history of electronics?
Also, the loss should appear on some loss lists, should not it?
Old 27th January 2005, 17:02

Don Caldwell
modified Bf 109T

Since the Bf 109T was originally intended for the German Navy, and 109Ts were in fact used for convoy patrols in 1941-1942, my guess is that this example was used to test a smoke generator for shipping protection. The huge size and bulk of the equipment is surprising, but this is true whatever its purpose -- "overengineering" is all I can say.