Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd April 2011, 07:23

jmark
Seeking info about Stfw. August Herber, KG27 Boelcke, killed 19.01.1943 Stalingrad

Hi,

I'm looking for information about the death of Stabsfeldwebel August Herber from 7./KG27 "Boelcke", killed 19 January 1943 at Gumrak airfield in Stalingrad. Are there any details in Waiss's 1943 volume?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jason
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:02

leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking info about Stfw. August Herber, KG27 Boelcke, killed 19.01.1943 Stalingrad

Dear Jason,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
I'm looking for information about the death of Stabsfeldwebel August Herber from 7./KG27 "Boelcke", killed 19 January 1943 at Gumrak airfield in Stalingrad. Are there any details in Waiss's 1943 volume?
Yes, page 39 of Waiss' Band V describes the events of Jan 19th. It includes the following paragraph:
Bordmechaniker Stfw. Herber of 9./KG 27 was killed by artillery fire. He was part of the crew of Major Thiel, who spoke to General Paulus about the supplying of Stalingrad, with regard to Gumrak airfield.
Hope that helps,
Leon Venter

p.s. Just wanted to compliment you on the incredible depth of photographic research evident in your book "Angriff" -- it sets a very high standard, one that I hope other authors and enthusiasts will aspire to.
Old 24th April 2011, 04:48

jmark
Re: Seeking info about Stfw. August Herber, KG27 Boelcke, killed 19.01.1943 Stalingrad

Hi Leon,

Many thanks for the info about Herber. It's very interesting to know he was part of Thiel's crew. I believe Thiel was in Stalingrad most of the day on 19 January, allowing ample opportunity for Herber to be killed by artillery fire. Were any other members of the crew killed?

Thanks also for the kind comments about "Angriff". It was a labour of love.

All the best,
Jason
Old 24th April 2011, 16:57

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Jason,

No, it appears that Herber was the only casualty. Thiel's aircraft was also heavily damaged.

The entry for Jan 21st includes Thiel's complete report on the meeting with Paulus and his staff. I've enclosed scans of those pages. (If they're hard to read, send me your email address via PM and I'll send you larger scans.)

Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 29th April 2011, 08:57

jmark

Hi Leon,
Thanks very much for your reply and the attached scans. I also found a copy of Thiel's original report online, on the Bundesarchiv website. Does Waiss' book give the call number for Thiel's plane?

Thanks again for your help.
Jason