Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th July 2019, 19:46
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Wing Commander Gomm, DSO, DFC and crew - Lancaster ED998 - cerimonial

Dear Moderators and members of this Board,

Thanks to this fantastic Fórum, during the years, I was able to establish contact with authors I used to read and admired, with former USAAF veterans and other persons linked by the same passion, the same respect, the same frequence.

During the last 6+ years I have been involved in writing the biography of probably the greatest Brazilian Military Aviator of all times, Wing Commander Cosme Lockwood Gomm, DSO, DFC.

Thanks to the efforts of many members of this board and dozens of co-authors, we have achieved something unique, in all aspects (size, number of pages, numbering 1,000; etc...).

With this in mind, some 1 year and half ago, I started to wonder if the Gomm Family and all those co-authors would gather to pay homage to this hero and his Brothers in arms (crewmembers) of Nº 467 Squadron. The task was glued with respect, passion, patience and passionate love for History....and we met on the 16th July at St. Désir Military Cemitery and St.André-sur-L'Eure and, on the 17th at Chuisnes, where the ED998 crashed.

Thanks to this site and Fórum, a humble sprog writer like me was able to meet fellow members like acknowledged Historian and ex-RAF Aviator, Chris Goss; French Historian and Archeological Researcher Gilles Collaveri and also the amazing French Historian, Phillipe Gravez.

Dozens were with us on the 16th and 17th July at St. Désir Military Cemitery and Chuisnes, alongside with dozens of relatives of crewmembers of ED998 to pay our humble homage to those heroes, NOT FORGOTTEN.

I am grateful for the Moderator and owner of this Fórum who made possible such friendships glued by respect and Honor (and passion).

Enclosed, a Picture of Chris Goss, myself, Gilles Collaveri and Phillipe Gravez at Chuisnes, last 17th July 2019...an event that we surely will carry on our hearts. The Picture was taken by my friend Gilles.

My humblest thanks for you all

Adriano Silva Baumgartner, ASV 00.344 (W/Cdr Gomm's biographer)

OBS: By the way Chris, how do you found (taste) the beer I promissed and owed you? Surely not similar to the British Ale I tasted back in 2014, but nevertheless a tribute to Santos Dumont's Demoiselle.....

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 11th October 2019 at 22:58.
Old 30th July 2019, 08:17
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wing Commander Gomm, DSO, DFC and crew - Lancaster ED998 - cerimonial

Adriano-glad you got back safely from a mammoth tour & emotional series of events. Credit to you. Photo looks as if we were in Australia? Beer is still in the fridge waiting for the right time to open it
Old 30th July 2019, 08:49
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road
Re: Wing Commander Gomm, DSO, DFC and crew - Lancaster ED998 - cerimonial

It was indeed a strong moment and let me share with you a picture of the monument , with the unveiled plaque, and the portion of rudder that will go back to England to be exhibited and shown in memory of ED998.

It was a perfect day of remembrance, well organized.

Gilles

Last edited by gilles collaveri; 25th November 2019 at 07:30.