Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th July 2017, 00:31

O.Menu
I./EKG(J) extraordinary markings deciphered :

Strange markings from Fw 190D-9 “red 18+~” made me curious to understand more about this.

Since I./EKG(J) was changed as V./EJG2 on 29 March 1945, I first though that it was a wavy line used for this five group. But it doesn’t work I was not able to find others staffeln using this same wavy line as well as the very distinctive bright yellow fuselage band just back from the Balken cross. Even when I saw that I./EKG(J) losses were mainly Bf 109. (Losses from 1945 published in “Luftwaffe over Czech territory, 1945” p222 report: Bu181x1, Bf109G-6 & G-14 x8, Fw190A x2 and Fw44 x1)

Then when I saw Bf 109 “black 29+-“ I remember when I discovered “JG301 extraordinary markings” so I try to search in that way. So I give a look to fantastic data base from Marc-André Haldimann https://www.flickr.com/photos/28092068@N03/albums and there I found “yellow 20+I” from witch Rabe Anton had recorded a strange surrender flight from Ansbach, home from 3./EKG(J) up to Luneville. Here: http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm (Cf: articles > JG7 Bf109 ?)

Things now became clear I just need to find similar white markings on Bf109 from Budweiss, home from 1./EKG(J). So I turn back to M-A.H. Flickr database and Bingo they were numerous there at surrender ! Up to now, they were just erroneously identified as part from NAGr.14 (Cf: Luftwaffe over Czech Territory). But with fuselage number up to 34 they are certainly more from a school unit than a “reco” one.

Finally I remembered Bf 109 “25+I” from EKG(J)55 but when you know that 13./KG55 became 3./EKGr(J) then 3./EKG(J), this explain his school number and the vertical yellow fuselage bar from 3./EKG(J) when the emblem come from it’s previous unit. 

So we have:

1./EKG(J): “white +”

2./EKG(J): “black + -“

3./EKG(J): “yellow + I”

4./EKG(J): “red + ~”

(Actually “blue” can’t be completely rule out, so I would be glad if someone can confirm this from a logbook or from a color picture, according to Eric Larger in his Fw190D books, it seems that there is one not yet published from Red 31 ? )

Source:
All the images are from “Luftwaffe over Czech territory 1945”,
except:
Bf109 “y 20+I” that come from Monogram Close-up N° 7 (109G part2)
Bf 109 “y 25+I” that come from M-A.H. database https://www.flickr.com/photos/280920...7640139678655/
and Ar96 “56+~” that come from there: http://www.vrtulnik.cz/ww2/k_plzensky.htm )
Old 18th July 2017, 06:53
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
Re: I./EKG(J) extraordinary markings deciphered :

Thanks Olivier for:

- your clever thinking
- your well thought breaking down of the markings used by this so little known unit
- your clear explanations
- benefitting from this Flickr based open database I keep on expanding as much as I can for exactly this purpose: a quick search and referenced ability

Much appreciated
Marc

Last edited by Marc-André Haldimann; 18th July 2017 at 08:23.
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:20

O.Menu

Why I think that 4./EKG(J) is actually “blue + ~” and not red

1/ We do not have any proof about the red colour from both Fw190D “red 18+~” nor Fw190A “red 31+~”:
- In Eric Larger’s Fw190D books, we can read that in former I./EKG(J) pilot Gefr. Haferland’s logbook, the colour of the markings from the Fw190 he flew, is unfortunately not recorded.
- In Steve Scheflin’s Airfoil Nb2, the colour pictures extract from a colour film only shows a “red 5” on the front cowling when fuselage digits remain unfortunately not visible. And the B&W panchromatic pictures from this publication do not allow us to make the difference between red or blue digits.

2/ in 1945 white outlined digits were usually blue when red and black were far less often outlined than in the previous years (Cf: JG1, JG6, JG53, JG301…)

3/ personnel from I./EKG(J) came from KG27 and KG55 and in a four staffeln bombers group the 4th staffel colour was always blue (ie: 1> white, 2> black, 3> yellow, 4> blue, exactly same order as in I./EKG(J))

3/ And finally the most contributing proof:
On at least three B&W orthochromatic pictures from “blue 31+~” the small "red 5" on the nose is black when the big "31+~" on fuselage stay in grey tone instead of a deep black as expected if it has been also red!

Sources:
- Steve Scheflin, Airfoil Nb2 for the colour picture
- for the B&W part of the picture, you can find it on Roger Gaemperle site: http://www.vintageeagle.com/album/fw...um_picture-132
- colour film: http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...ine_P-47-lands

Regards, Olivier
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:22
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

"But with fuselage number up to 34 they are certainly more from a school unit than a “reco” one."

However, in the West 5.(F)/123 and its successor 3./NAG 1 used some very high numbers (I suspect that they gave a new number to each machine rather than reuse the numbers of lost aircraft).
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:14

O.Menu

up to 56 Nick

The final goal was to teach how to fly the Me262... At least three had been delivered to II./EKG(J).

Notice that: In Dan O'Connell book, it's said that Me262 W.Nr.110969 had been delivered to III./EKG(J) but It must be a typo for II./EKG(J). Dan, if possible, I would be glad to know also if it's color "white 6" was determined from German documentation or from the photo ?

Respectfully, Olivier
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:44
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hi Olivier,

I have been studying these markings for my next 'Captured Eagles Vol. II' as well and came to the same conclusion (I have to give the credits to Tomas Poruba who has done a very detailed study of photo material). I have several photos of previously unknown Fw 190s and Bf 109s from EKG(J) (and also KG(J)55) which I will publish in my next book and hence my interest.

Apart from the color of the tactical codes and the use of Gruppe markings for Staffeln, I have noticed that the fuselage bands also appear to have had different colours. 2. Staffel was possibly white, 3. Staffel is not yellow nor white (there are photos of e.g. Yellow 25 that show quite a different shade of the tactical code and the fuselage bands and color footage exists that prove that the color was not yellow). 4. Staffel probably had yellow again.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 23rd July 2017, 23:23

O.Menu

Hi Roger,

Can't wait to read you again in 'Captured Eagles Vol. II'. Printing quality and information from Nb 1 were really impressive. And thanks for the update.

Two questions indeed:
1/ any roughly idea about publication's time ?
2/ Will be there something about II./EKG(J) or Stab I./EKG(J) ?

Cheers, Olivier