Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd February 2017, 18:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ghostbombers updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaupe75 View Post
So that probably means that communication between luftwaffe units in Norway, was mostly by landline, and was never picked up by ULTRA?

Then what we have left, is communication with ship traffic?
Quite a lot of what I have seen could be explained by liaison between the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine. Given the geography of Norway, I guess that very few flights would take place that would completely avoid the sea.
Old 25th March 2017, 17:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Today's additions and updates to Ghost Bombers are:
  • A new article: ULTRA and Unternehmen »PAULA«: 3 June 1940.
  • Kommando Götz: details of a mission flown on 1 March 1945 (thanks to Chris Going).
  • Staffel Kaatsch: the homeward flight of a damaged aircraft on 28 August 1944 (thanks to “Xerumbe” of the 12 o’clock high forum).
  • Nachtjagdstaffel Norwegen: a British Intelligence appreciation of October 1944; identification of a shot down Lancaster (thanks to Theo Boiten).
  • Jagdgeschwader Recognition Bands: more about the general notification to commands that German fighters would carry coloured bands (thanks to “Seaplanes” of the 12 o’clock high forum).
  • Kommando Olga: activity by two aircraft of 6.(F)/123 on the night of 22/23 August 1944.
  • Kommando Rastedter: addition of a strength return for 4./FAGr. 5 on 6 July 1944.
  • Geschwader Bongart: something about I./LLG 1's departure from France plus some small additions regarding Bongart's operations on 5, 6 , 8 and 9 July 1944 (thanks to Jochen Prien); an additional note about 13 July; and a comment from a Maquis veteran about an action on 20 July.
  • Kampfflieger Vol. IV: an addition about II./KG 6's part in the attack on Soissons on 30/31 August 1944.
  • Adlertag: added an operation by I./KG 27 against airfields in England on the night of 6/7 June 1940.
  • 1940 loss reports: six additional reports for the month of May and one for 11 June.
  • A clarification about Kommando Schenck's target on 28 August 1944.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:30

gaupe75 is on a distinguished road

"On the 25th, Uffz. Heinrich Semmelrogge (pilot), Uffz. Werner Dörries (radio operator), Uffz. Rudolf Lang (Bordwart) died in a crash attributed to pilot error (Ju 88 G-6, W.Nr. 621284, B4+NA). Petrick places this crash 20 km south west of Gardermoen aerodrome. Another G-6 was 30% damaged in a crash the following day but this time none of the crew was injured."

The location of this crash is correct, it went down about 1000 m from the house where I live now, in Gjerdrum. There are still people remembering the crash, they did however say that it was no doubt engine malfunction coming in. This day the plane had a completly different sound, and then it went down.

The germans cleaned up the wreck, so there is only metal parts showing up these days.
Old 28th March 2017, 12:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaupe75 View Post
"On the 25th, Uffz. Heinrich Semmelrogge (pilot), Uffz. Werner Dörries (radio operator), Uffz. Rudolf Lang (Bordwart) died in a crash attributed to pilot error (Ju 88 G-6, W.Nr. 621284, B4+NA). Petrick places this crash 20 km south west of Gardermoen aerodrome. Another G-6 was 30% damaged in a crash the following day but this time none of the crew was injured."

The location of this crash is correct, it went down about 1000 m from the house where I live now, in Gjerdrum. There are still people remembering the crash, they did however say that it was no doubt engine malfunction coming in. This day the plane had a completly different sound, and then it went down.

The germans cleaned up the wreck, so there is only metal parts showing up these days.
Thanks very much for that information, I'll include it the next time I update the site.
Old 28th March 2017, 20:47

Chris Going is on a distinguished road

For the record (Unternehmen Paula etc update)
10 17 is Biggin Hill; 10 118 is Kenley; 10 99 is Hawkinge; 10 136 is Lympne
and finally 10 281 is Detling.

ATB

ChrisG
Old 28th March 2017, 21:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Going View Post
For the record (Unternehmen Paula etc update)
10 17 is Biggin Hill; 10 118 is Kenley; 10 99 is Hawkinge; 10 136 is Lympne
and finally 10 281 is Detling.

ATB

ChrisG
Thanks, Chris.

Quite a lot of these target numbers appear in the messages and the British gradually understood more of them as time went on, I suppose because they could compare them with what had actually been bombed.
Old 14th July 2017, 21:54
Super Moderator

Updates for Bastille Day are:
  • Addition to my "Complete Works": 4./FAGr. 5, chapter 12 of Robert Forsyth: Shadow over the Atlantic (Osprey, 2017) ISBN 978 1 4728 2045 7.
  • Kampfflieger Vol. 4: three new pages on the Bristol raid of 14–15 May 1944.
  • Listening and Jamming: a new, illustrated page on the »Kettenhund« airborne jammer; also directives about the use of »Düppel« chaff, June–July 1944.
  • Geschwader Bongart: actions at Saint-Amand-Montrond on 8 June 1944 (thanks to Philippe Cannone) and additional details of Re 2002 operations on 12 July 1944.
  • Jagdgruppe 200: accident to an Fw 190 of Jagdgruppe Süd at Avignon on 10 June (thanks to Philippe Cannone) and a few more words about events on 23 June 1944.
  • Invasion Watch: addition of RAF comments on German aircrew morale, 30 May 1944.
  • Staffel Kaatsch: a new suggested location of Ltn. Bell's victory claimed on 3 September 1944 (thanks to Jochen Prien).
  • Ghost Bombers the Moonlight War of NSG 9: new information from October 1942 about German proposals to use the CR. 42 by night and a Ju 87 night harassment operation in North Africa.
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité à tous!
Old 19th July 2017, 12:36

SEAN RYAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all the effort you put into your excellent website and I know that you are busy but I was hoping you would be able to help please ?

I can't seem to access pages 2 and 3 of the latest update for Kampfflieger Vol.4 about the Bristol raid of 14-15 May 1944.

It's probably me but I've tried on several different computers at work and my tablet at home but nothing happens when I hit the "next" icon at the bottom of page one of the update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sean.
Old 19th July 2017, 14:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAN RYAN View Post
Hi Nick,

I can't seem to access pages 2 and 3 of the latest update for Kampfflieger Vol.4 about the Bristol raid of 14-15 May 1944.

It's probably me but I've tried on several different computers at work and my tablet at home but nothing happens when I hit the "next" icon at the bottom of page one of the update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sean.
Thanks for pointing that out. It definitely wasn't you but on the other hand I don't know what it was. The links on page 1 were present in the page design app but when you tried to "preview in browser" they'd gone — even though those on pages 2 and 3 did work.

I went for the brute force option, deleted the old links and put in new ones which seem to be OK in Safari and Firefox.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:53

SEAN RYAN is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Nick.

Regards,

Sean.