Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th September 2019, 00:47
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: French Biplane ID Wanted

Hello Stig,

I believe I've used the term impressment in a misleading fashion. Certainly I was only referring to 1939/40 and did not intend to refer to an earlier period.Possibly also impressment is not the correct term. I'm thinking of machines that already belonged to the french state and were on loan to the various aeroclubs.

As an example looking at the CJE work previously referred to by Graham on P.135 there is a photo of a Salmson D.6 Cricri W-634, previously F-ARFA. I am assuming that prior to entering military service it would have carried the civil registration but not the military matriculation. Or did they indeed carry both? If the Hanriot in the photo was also on loan from the french state is it perhaps possible that the H-227 although possibly used earlier in the aircraft's carrier was reapplied in 1940? Probably a futile question I suppose unless further work is undertaken on the subject of french military matriculations..

Regards,

Clint
Old 11th September 2019, 11:38
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well Clint

What can I say?
French aviation never cease to surprise me. I don't have that book, since I assumed it was a French text expansion of his earlier Camouflage and Markings Nr 1 French Air Force 1938-45.

Since I cannot recall any W prefixed codes I checked my copy and without really know the whole story about the buzz numbers (matricule militaire) none of the types listed in there carry any such prefix.

I can only assume that W was some kind of "slush" prefix issued post Sep 1939 for use by various impressed aircraft into Adl'A.

Maybe they actually started to impress aircraft in a quite orderly manner, in this W range, but when things got out of hand in May 1940 they simply commandeered everything in sight and just painted roundels over the civil registration?

Bottom line is that I don't know enough and the above is more guesswork than anything else. Sorry about that.

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th September 2019, 19:27
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Pardon if my imperfect French is leading me astray, but I believe the book says that the system was abandoned in March 1940 for reasons of security.

Not having his earlier work, I don't know how much in the new work is different, but I suspect rather a lot. Presumably the story is recognisable between the two!
Old 11th September 2019, 21:09
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Graham

Presumably my French is even worse than yours, but if these matricule militaire numbers were cancelled in March it would explain why so many impressed aircraft from May does not carry anything else than their former civil register.

Another point to remember is that these numbers were basically only painted below the wings. OK to see if you have a high wing aircraft but whenever a biplane or low wing monoplane appears you will be lucky to see anything at all.

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th November 2019, 17:37
Alter Hase

Hello,

In case anyone is interested there is now a further photo of Hanriot HD.32 H.227 available on ebay at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/WH-Soldaten-...4AAOSwOzddy8nO

Regards,

Clint
Old 14th November 2019, 02:36

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Is the aeroplane with it's wings removed and stacked not a monoplane? Or are you talking about the on on the left with it's engine cowl removed?

Why a monoplane? It only has one wing on each side of the fuselage. I don't see a pair of wings stacked on each side. There is also a single bracing wire 'post' on the top of the fuselage - like what you see on a Fokker Eindekker.

...geoff
Old 14th November 2019, 11:25
Alter Hase

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for pointing this out. I may have made an error in the case of that photo. Although, having said that, the undercarriage and engine cowling do look the same. In any event the first photo and my last posting do show the same machine.

Regards,

Clint
Old 14th November 2019, 18:27
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

I had assumed that what Geoff identifies as a pylon was the end of the lower wing stacked behind the upper one.
Old 15th November 2019, 01:56

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Graham & Clint,
Hello Gents. Bear in mind, that I was "asking" whether that aeroplane was likely a monoplane. I do agree (for what it's worth) that the first photo is very much like a Hanriot 32.

Graham,
I was actually talking about the wire-braced-post behind what you call a pylon. The post is more reminiscent of the type of wing support bracing point for early monoplanes. I'm not sure what the "pylon" is.

...geoff