Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th April 2017, 21:55

Asso di bastoni is on a distinguished road
Unteroffizier Wilhelm Kluge

Hello everyone,
I'm here with a request for help. Could someone give me some information about Unteroffizier Wilhelm Kluge of 3.Staffel/SG 10?All I know is that he fought on the eastern front throughout 1944 and that he was awarded the Ek II and I and the gold grade of the Frontflugspange. I'd really appreciate any information about this young pilot.

Cheers and thank you all,
Elia

Last edited by Asso di bastoni; 10th April 2017 at 10:45.
Old 13th April 2017, 19:29

Re: Unteroffizier Wilhelm Kluge

Is there a good reference book on Schlachtgeschwader 10 where I might find a list of losses suffered or something that could help my research?

Thanks to all
Old 13th April 2017, 23:55

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi Elia,

No, unfortunately there is not a good reference book about Schlachtgeschwader 10. Larry deZeng's Dive-Bomber and Ground-Attack Units, Volume 2, is probably your best bet, providing a potted history and some good basic details about the unit.

What information are you interested in? Also, what time period? All of 1944? I have some Flugbuch copies and some details about losses and operations for that year, and can send some material via email if you'd like.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 14th April 2017, 14:03

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for your support. I am looking for information about Unteroffizier Wilhelm Kluge, pilot in the 3./SG 10. A close friend of mine found among the inheritance from his late great aunt a set of award documents of this young pilot, who apparently was her boyfriend during the war. The problem is that nobody in the family knows anything about him, save from the fact that he died in action. This friend asked me if I could help him by doing some research, but there are not many elements to start from. So I've decided to ask the very best in the field on this forum.

What we know is that he was awarded the Frontflugspange in Bronze on June 6, 1944; the silver one on the 7th of august and the golden one on the 24th of october of the same year. He was also awarded the Ek II and the Ek I.

I would really appreciate if you shared with me documents dealing with the operations of I./SG 10 during the whole of 1944 to the disbandement of the Geschwader, so that I could reconstruct at least the context around the operational career of this pilot. Moreover, I might find the date of his death and the Flugzeugkennung in the Verlustmeldungen.

Thank you again for your offer and kind support!

Cheers, Elia
Old 14th April 2017, 14:36
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

I have from secondary source the following:
1945-03-23, Stab I/SG 10, Fw 190 F-8, 580606, < F, Östlich Veszprém
Flugzeugführer Uffz Kluge, Wilhelm, vermißt
Absturz infolge vermutlich Jägerbeschuß. Bruch 100 %. Uffz Kluge mit Fallschirm abgesprungen.

Matti
Old 14th April 2017, 15:27

Thank you very much for your precious information Matti! May I ask you were you got this data from?

Cheers, Elia
Old 14th April 2017, 15:35
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately I have no notes in my files regarding the origin of this information.

Matti
Old 15th April 2017, 20:15

Thanks Matti and happy Easter!