Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th May 2016, 20:47

gmsphoto is on a distinguished road
302 ferry training unit

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew what scheme these aircraft where in 1943?

And would they Catalina 1b have wheels that tucked into the fuselage.

Kind regards

Graeme
Old 14th May 2016, 21:56
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: 302 ferry training unit

Air Britain's Flying Training and Support Units mentions Catalinas Mk.I, II and V, plus Sunderlands II, III and IV. The colour scheme will certainly have been Temperate Sea Scheme on the uppersurfaces (Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey). Older aircraft (ie coming from service without repainting) will have this coming down the fuselage sides to undersides in Sky: later aircraft will have White undersides and fuselage sides, with a high demarcation.

I'm afraid I don't know if any of these would have been amphibians without considerable digging in references, but these were fairly rare in RAF service so I suspect not.