Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th April 2017, 15:25

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Bomber Aces List

I've just spent 3 days going through all the personnel info on WW2.dk and compiled a list of bomber crew with 250+ missions. There are about 230 entries.There are limitations in info and detail, but I have found it quite useful for my purposes.
For example, the list can only include crew where the number of missions they flew is given. So there may be (many) more which should be in the list but aren't because that information is not available or given on the website. Also, some of the information is not clear, so some guesswork must be employed. And also, some of the info on the website does not match info from other sources, and I am unable to determine which is correct.
Is this list, despite its possible shortcomings, something anyone else would be interested in?
If so, is there a copyright problem with Michael Holm if the spreadsheet is posted in this forum? Michael?
Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 07:43
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe Bomber Aces List

Good morning Peter,

very interesting topic !
I don't know if you know that thread of mine:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...651#post218651
It is based on the book by Georg Brütting.
However I think your investigations on that issue are much more advanced than mine. I'm looking forward to your results.

Have a nice Sunday,

Michael
Old 28th May 2017, 12:50

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Hello Michael. Yes, I saw your thread, and noted despite many views there were no responses. I had hoped by suggesting starting something similar there might be some reaction, but no. Maybe I'll start a thread with a list of aces with >500 combat missions and see what happens.
I'm not sure I can add much more to my work so far - my scant sources are all used up.
I have made some minor detail edits since the data you've seen, but nothing significant.
I have identified aircraft types and markings (and possible markings) of aircraft flown by the top aces, but that's as far as I can go.
I know my information is incomplete and may contain errors, but to build on it I will need help from others, but none seem interested in this thread, so maybe that's it.
One thing of note - of the bomber aces who completed more than 500 combat missions, it is incredible that almost 80% survived the war!
Sorry
Cheers
Peter
Old 28th May 2017, 16:26

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter,

I would also be very interested to see your list. Such compilations often lead to more discoveries and new insights.

Best regards,
Leon Venter
Old 28th May 2017, 20:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Perhaps these books about Kampfflieger may help:

http://www.luftfahrtverlag-start.de/...uecher.en.html

Both should be available.

And these:

http://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/luf...d-edition-set/

Usual disclaimer,