Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th May 2011, 22:12
Alter Hase

steve sheridan
Re: Ghostbombers updates

Hi Nick ok thanks, at least im not losing my marbles just yet!

Best regs,
Steve.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:02
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

At long last, today I've posted some new stuff to the site:
  • Several additions and corrections to the article about NAG 6 and the Me 262.
  • One addition to the 1./NAG 1 article.
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:58
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I've just posted a fairly extensive new article, about Kampfgruppe 100, Ultra and the Coventry Blitz of November 1940.

My starting point was to find out what warning Ultra actually gave of the attack on Coventry. Lots has been written on the subject but I don't recall anyone actually quoting the message(s) themselves. These go a long way toward answering the questions of what they knew and when they knew it.

The rest of the files I used were located via a couple of word searches in the National Archives catalogue. These showed what the RAF did to try and forestall or disrupt the German attacks and what assumptions they made about the targets and timings and why.

I hope that it helps to fill out the picture that's been available hitherto.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:51
Super Moderator

Posted to Ghost Bombers today:
  • A new article on 1.(F)/100 and the Arado 234: January–May 1945.
  • Additions to Kommando Sommer regarding the events of 29 January–4 February 1945.
  • Additions to the KGr. 100 article regarding an aircraft which force landed in France on 14 August 1940 and a strength return for the 15th.
  • An addition to the Sonderstaffel Kaatsch article regarding Ltn. Kurt Bell's later career.
  • Aditional material for NAG 6 and the Me 262 regarding operations in March 1945.
  • Extensive corrections and layout changes.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:38

Karl

Dear Nick,

thank you very much for new informations until now hidden in the ULTRA decrypts. Some new (F)100pilot names I never heard before of like Viergutz, Heibutzki, Franz, Schnabel, Haider, Puls, Beck.

You also mentioned Ofw Willi Windhövel (*02.12.13) : On 18th of April 1945 he took off with his Ar234 T5+?? from Lechfeld. He was shot down by LtCol Shafer, 339FG, 503FS, some 30 km south east of Regensburg, managed to bail out at a height of about 3000 ft only to die next day.

Best wishes, Karl

P.S.: I have the hope that you - some day - reveal some yet unknown details about JG7...
Old 19th October 2011, 01:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Dear Nick,

thank you very much for new informations until now hidden in the ULTRA decrypts. Some new (F)100 pilot names I never heard before of like Viergutz, Heibutzki, Franz, Schnabel, Haider, Puls, Beck.

You also mentioned Ofw Willi Windhövel (*02.12.13) : On 18th of April 1945 he took off with his Ar234 T5+?? from Lechfeld. He was shot down by LtCol Shafer, 339FG, 503FS, some 30 km south east of Regensburg, managed to bail out at a height of about 3000 ft only to die next day.

Best wishes, Karl

P.S.: I have the hope that you - some day - reveal some yet unknown details about JG7...
Thanks, it was interesting work to do.

Viergutz I think was with 1.(F)/123 but flew a "T5" aircraft at least once. He later appears in Ultra flying 4U+IH.

Thanks for the information about Windhövel. I did find that entry in the Volksbund für Kriegsgräberfürsorge database but I had no way to confirm it was the right man, apart from the quite rare name. The location was some distance from the combat area and (I apologise to say this) I thought that at 31 he seemed quite old to have been a pilot of Ofw. rank.

The JG 7 material in Ultra is quite limited, I think. I may work on it in future but no promises!
Old 10th December 2011, 20:42

pelagonia

Is this ju87 one of Yours ghostbombers?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-STUKA-Fl...65032725432491

Best,

Andrea
Old 5th March 2012, 21:26
Super Moderator

Added to my website so far in 2012:
  • Extensive additions to the article about 2./NAG 6.
  • Additions to the 1./NAG 1 article about 4, 11 and 16 April 1945.
  • 1.(F)/100: more on the effects of Allied attacks on Lechfeld and München-Riem on 9 and 16 April 1945.
  • NSG 9: restoration of a link to a page on RAF combats with NSG 7 on 26 May 1944.*
  • I./JG 2 in Italy: correction of one casualty report from 21 May 1944.
  • 1.(F)/100: more on the arrival of unit's first two Ar 234s in Biblis; additional strength return for the evening of 31 January 1945; a possible mission on 8 February 1945; information from Allied photo-reconnaissance cover of Bavarian aerodromes on 25 April 1945; information on the pilot who crashed on 22 April 1945 (thanks to Ian Atheling).
  • Information on the later use of two former aircraft of Staffel Kaatsch.
  • Additions to Einsatzkommando KG 51 about events on 21 and 26 August 1944.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:42
Super Moderator

A new article just added:
The Arado Ar 234 in Norway and Denmark 1945
Old 10th March 2012, 01:09
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi Nick, will there be any further extracts of KGr100 day to day activities during 1940?
These have been really interesting and detailed and i hope you can perhaps add more, time permitting?

Best regs,
Steve.