Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th April 2007, 07:59
Alter Hase

CJE
Re: LUFTWAFFE CLAIM FOR WESTLAND WHIRLWIND P6989

The Do 215 (if it's a Do 215) could have been in a night intruder mission, as I./NJG 2 was very active at night at that time over England.
Old 4th April 2007, 10:28

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road

CJE:

Many thanks for this. I have been forwarded a details taken from the squadron ORB recording this event. The time given for probably take off is 19.00 hours. However, it could be the actual time of the interception. Either way it happened in the early evening. I presume that this would be too early for nightfighter operations? I would be intrested to hear your thoughts.

With kind regards - Malcolm.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:27

niallc is on a distinguished road

Malcolm

The Squadron ORB gives Time up as 1835, Time Down 1915. S/L Donaldson's Combat Report gives the time of attack as 18.55. Since Britain was on BST (GMT +1) at the time and Germany on GST (GMT + 2) one might expect any Luftwaffe account of the combat to be timed at 19.55 or thereabouts. I don't know if this rules out Christian's suggestion of an intruder sortie or not, but, since the aircraft was over land, I assume we can rule out anti-shipping and probably Wekusta ops.

Donaldson had very little operational experience and aircraft recognition, particularly of rarely-encountered types, was not a strong point of RAF fighter pilots. Dorniers were frequently misidentifed as Ju88s and even Bf 110s (also twin-finned) and vice versa. So it could have been almost anything, but I'd love to see this mystery solved: it's been bugging me for years.

The “Arado” issue is a product of confusing this episode with one that occurred on February 8th in which a different pilot in a different Whirlwind allegedly shot down an aircraft that might have been an Ar 196 and was himself allegedly shot down by it. Although the Squadron ORB records the story this way, as do recent accounts, the other pilot involved in the sortie identified the enemy aircraft not as an Ar 196, but as an He 115. Another mystery.

NiallC
Old 4th April 2007, 23:32
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have photos of Crooks and Whirlwinds taken at Exeter in Jan/Feb 41 but not of this ac. I cannot throw any light as to who might have got Crooks
Old 5th April 2007, 01:03

brewerjerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallc View Post
Donaldson had very little operational experience and aircraft recognition, particularly of rarely-encountered types, was not a strong point of RAF fighter pilots. Dorniers were frequently misidentifed as Ju88s and even Bf 110s (also twin-finned) and vice versa. So it could have been almost anything, but I'd love to see this mystery solved: it's been bugging me for years.
Hi
This too has bugged me for many years,and I have thought many things.
On that evening, 2 HE-III's and a FW-200 were attacked off St Eval by 247Sq, so it appears anti -shipping and recce units, were taking a short cut across cornwall to the irish sea, etc,
My personal 'theory' is as there seems to be no claim and if the 'dornier' was a mis identification, one possibility is, it might be that the lufwaffe aircraft that crashed later into Lundy cliffs, HE-III, III/KG27, 1G+FL, Wn3837, hence the lack of a combat report or claim as the luftwaffe a/c never returned, and I think all the crew might have been killed in the crash.

on the other hand.....
any hampdens around at that time ....

[/quote]

cheers
jerry
Old 5th April 2007, 09:12
Alter Hase

CJE

I./NJG 2 made no claims between 18.03.41 and 04.04.41.
Old 5th April 2007, 15:31

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road

Niall / Chris / Jerry / CJE:

Many thanks for all your contributions to this thread. It is proving extremely interesting and of great benefit. I never expected ro receive so much help when I posted my original enquiry!

With kind regards - Malcolm.
Old 5th April 2007, 15:38
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Unless I have missed something, there seems to have been no suggestion that the aircraft was from one of the reconnaissance units. Shouldn't their claims be checked?
Old 6th April 2007, 01:07

brewerjerry

Hi All,
Just a passing thought ,

anyone able to post the official 'losses and damaged' returns, for the luftwaffe units for this date.

cheers
Jerry
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:20

brewerjerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjerry View Post
Hi All,
Just a passing thought ,

anyone able to post the official 'losses and damaged' returns, for the luftwaffe units for this date.

cheers
Jerry
Hi
no excuses just a bump,

anyone able to post the lutwaffe twin engine losses/damaged for the 01 april 1941.

cheers
Jerry