Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th October 2014, 22:59

Marcel van Heijkop is on a distinguished road
Was there a "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66"?

Dear all,

Recently I obtained several pictures of a Ju 52 wreck in a bombed out hangar, according to the seller taken after a bombing attack on Rennes (France) on 12 June 1944. According to the captions on the back of the pictures this machine (K8+SB) belonged to the "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel des IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66". Although it sounds logical/handy for a pathfinder unit as I./KG66 to have its own Transportstaffel, I had never heard about it...However, the pilot of the aircraft in question switched to I./KG66 and flying its Ju 88 S-3s etc. later in the war, suggesting that there was indeed some kind of relationship...

Can anyone confirm that a "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel des IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66" indeed existed? Are there any documents or losses (personnel or aircraft) known? (NB: According to his Flugbuch, the last flight of K8+SB was from Avord to Montdidier on 10 June 1944. The bombing is not mentioned, but maybe it was at Montdidier rather than Rennes?)

Thanks in advance,

Marcel
Old 29th October 2014, 23:48
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Was there a "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66"?

I have never heard of it, Marcel.

There was this:

Transportstaffel IX. Fliegerkorps
(Unit Code: K8+ ?)

Formation. (c. Feb 41)
Formed around February 1941 in Holland (Fp. Soesterberg?) for IX. Fliegerkorps (ex-9. Fliegerdivision), which was formed o/a 16 Nov 40 and had its headquarters at Blomendaal/Holland.

Holland and France. (c. Feb 41 - Sep 44)
23 Sep 41: Ju 52 damaged its undercarriage and crashed while landing at Brussels, 60%.
Dec 41: based at Amiens-Glisy - handed over 5 Ju 52s this date toward the formation of KGr.z.b.V. 400.
8 Jan 43: 4 air crew personnel from the Staffel reported MIA in the Stalingrad area while flying “on loan” with KGr.z.b.V. 50.
9 Sep 43: Caudron C 445 bombed on the ground at Fp. Beauvais-Tillé/NE France, 20%.
1943-44: usually had 1 to 5 LeO 451s on strength.
10 Jul 44: based at Beaumont-sur-Oise/32 km N of Paris, and same on 25 July.
Sep 44: disbanded September/October 1944. Its Feldpostnummer was deleted on 21 Oct 44.

FpN: (L 14550)

So, if I had to guess, I would say your "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel des IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66" was some sort of improvised detachment that existed for a week or two immediately after the 6 June Normandy invasion, or it is an incorrect and confusing reference to a couple of aircraft from Transportstaffel IX. Fliegerkorps that were sent to pick up and move the personnel from Stab/KG 66 from one airfield to another.

Larry
Old 31st October 2014, 00:22

Re: Was there a "Verbindungs- und Transportstaffel IX Fliegerkorps Kommando Stab KG 66"?

Hello Larry,

Thanks for this! His Flugbuch matches with your info: After flying Ju 52s in Russia and Italy (unit codes G6+.., 4V+..), "my" man joined Transportstaffel IX. Fliegerkorps on 18 October 1943 at Paris-Orly. Here he flew C445s (K8+CB, K8+BB, T4+CL) first, followed by Ju 52s at Beaumont, among others. From July 1944 onwards, he followed I./KG66 via France and Holland to Germany, where he learned to fly the Ju 88 S-3.

He apparently was a meticulous bookkeeper, writing down the name of each successive unit or Kommando whenever he changed units: 2./KGzbV102, 10./TG3, Transportstaffel IX Fliegerkorps, Kdo. I./SKG10, Transport-und Verbindungsstaffel IX Fliegerkorps, Kdo. Stab./KG66, etc..So he was probably sent a lot on short-lived detachments..

PS: I think the correct spelling for the 1940/1941 HQ location would be Bloemendaal..

Regards,

Marcel
Old 31st October 2014, 11:47
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Marcel! Bloemendaal correction made. You have a good eye!

Cheers,

Larry
Old 1st November 2014, 11:46

Hi Larry, you're welcome! Anyway, this little sidestep will be a nice addition to my I./KG66 unit history.

Regards,

Marcel