Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th October 2008, 00:41

Robert Reid
7th Seenostaffel 12 oct 42 rescue of 203sq crew

11 October 203sq Maryland AH280 ditched 1530hrs 3 hrs out from Ginnaclis due to engine failure. west of Crete in region of Gravdos. Distress call made before ditching.

At 0622 distress call picked up by 7th Seenostaffel at Suda Bay and Dornier 24 was sent to search south and west of Crete.

Difference in times of distress calls. Later one ? from Beaufighter

The Dornier 24 was intercepted by Beaufighter who circled waggeled his wings and made signs to follow him. South of Gavdos found dinghies with 4 crewmembers from Maryland. All badly hurt.

1 compound fracture of tibia
2 severed artery
3 cuts and bruises
4 concussion ,severe laceration to left leg, facial injuries and concussion

Beaufighter circled while Dornier landed and picked up crew.
The Beaufighter then flew off in direction of Malta. Dornier landed back at Suda Bay at 08.22. It departed again at 1030 in response to another distress call closer to African coast . Italian Torpedo boat had been damaged and 9 badly injured sailors were picked up and taken to Suda bay landing at 1357.

It was Oct 2001 that Karl-Heinz Daehn the german pilot finally tracked down surviving member of Maryland crew here in Canada.

Chris Goss has much of information :-)

But Question is What unit was beaufighter from ?

Robert Reid
Old 27th October 2008, 11:43
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: 7th Seenostaffel 12 oct 42 rescue of 203sq crew

Robert
Just a correction-I tracked them down and put them in touch with Daehn!
Chris
Old 27th October 2008, 16:20
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Robert and Chris: Great story and stupid question:;How did the Beaufighter know the Do 24 was on a rescue mission and not just a legitimate target? Did it have IRC markings?Thanks
Old 27th October 2008, 18:25

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
... stupid question:;How did the Beaufighter know the Do 24 was on a rescue mission and not just a legitimate target?
Not such a stupid question. Awareness of ASR activity wasn't uncommon: both the British Y Service and the German B.Deinst were there to listen to the radio transmissions of the opposition, including ASR, and routinely understood the voice codes used for communication.
I have no knowledge of this particular event, but the situation arose throughout the war. The way the controllers and individual pilots handled the knowledge that an enemy ASR op was launched varied, but in this case it appears to have lead to overt co-operation, if it can be substantiated.

Hope this helps,

Bruce
Old 27th October 2008, 20:30

Robert Reid

Chris I stand very humbly corrected :-)

I have got the letters from german airman, he was navy pilot not luftwaffe. He didnt speak english well and corresponded with Don via Horst Thurling in Berlin. I visited Horst several years ago hoping to meet Karl-Heinz but he had serious illness and unfortunately passed away about 2 years ago at age of 87.

The story of Beaufighter is quite correct,the discriptions of event from both sides of fence so to speak are virtually same.

I got impression that early morning distress came from beaufighter??

One comment that was made was when Dornier crew saw Beaufighter they thought they were done for. Seems lot of their friends had not survived such encounters. Apparently ,there was incident when one plane was shot down having picked up allied airman/men. Unfortunately ,I wasnt able to get any more detail than that. Another incident was where an RAF crew were sighted and in process of landing,the German plane was damaged and could not take off. An RAF plane arrived and picked up both crews. That must have been sight to see.

I see a lot of vets at hospital and some of their stories are very interesting and others are down right terrible.Ive had some almost breakdown in tears telling their stories,that they had kept to themselves for 60 years. I have pictures on wall at office, Halifax , B24 and ME262. and they usually start stories flowing. Had a few Luftwaffe vets also who stayed in canada or returned after being repatriated.

Dons brother spent 24 hours in a dinghy in north sea after his halifax ditched!

Sadly, the numbers are dwindling rapidly.

Robert
Old 27th October 2008, 20:39

Robert Reid

I saw some photographs of Dornier crews and was quite surprised that they werent so well turned out so to speak as one would expect. In fact they looked lke bunch of pirates! Unshaved ,etc uniforms not quite uniform etc.

Still would like to know who Beaufighter pilot was.!

Robert
Old 27th October 2008, 21:07
Alter Hase

byron- is on a distinguished road

The story is trew, it`s reported in the book of Horst Thürling "Die 7.Seenotstaffel 1941-1944" ISBN 3-932403-01-0 Rudower Panorama Verlag GmbH 1997. Please delete the attachement after wiewing.

Last edited by byron-; 9th December 2008 at 14:54.
Old 27th October 2008, 23:37

Robert Reid

Picture looks like Frank Bergh the pilot. who was least injured

Mitchell #leg Right
Charlesworth Laceration L arm tournique with intercom cord
Hickson Left leg , significant flesh wound . Damage to Left Eye

Picture has no apparent left eye damage,arm injury and standing on both legs, which Michelle could not do.

Robert