Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th September 2008, 22:27

Tony Williams
Re: About WW2 fighter aircraft firing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Philips View Post
One other point that you raised in the articles. The presence of tracer is mentioned as undesirable, as it reduces space that could otherwise be filled with HE, and as tracer gave away the fact that somebody was shooting at you. On the other hand, wasn't tracer an excellent aid in deflection shooting, as the pilot could see where the rounds were going, enabling him to let the opponent fly into the pattern, or to chase the pattern into the opponent?
The problem was that by the time the tracers reached the target and the pilot could see that they were missing, it could be too late to correct. From the point of view of scoring hits it would be best to aim well ahead of a turning target then let your nose fall away, delivering raking fire. However, if you started by firing ahead of your target its pilot could see the tracers and take violent avoiding action.
Old 9th September 2008, 22:53

Harri Pihl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Williams View Post
Better known as the Browning .50 M2...it depends on how you measure success. Certainly US fighters armed with the .50 shot down lots of planes, but there are other factors involved than the quality of the gun: such as the superiority of the aircraft, the superiority of pilot training, superiority in numbers (later) and so on. And of course the fact that few planes carried anything other than the .50 meant it was bound to shoot down a lot of planes. What that doesn't tell you is whether or not they would have been even more successful if armed with a good cannon: personally, I think they would.
I'm not arguing wether USAF swould have done better with something else than the M2. I merely replied to your point that the Germans and Russians went towards lower velocity, higher caliber weapons, my point being that the USAF stayed on higher velocity weapon, the M2, and even did consider another high velocity weapon, the 15mm MG 151, which was replaced by lower velocity weapon in Germany. In other words I'm saying that the air forces selected weapons with different standards and the USAF experience is just as relevant as German and Russian experience because the USAF results are undeniable (actually same can't be said about German results).

Infact I agree with you that the USAF might have done better by adopting a cannon like the Hispano or the MG 151. However, it's not the point discused here.
Old 9th September 2008, 23:54

Rob Philips is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Tony. 3 and 4 point harmonisation added to the list too.

Assume an engagement range of 200 meters. Small caliber projectiles, Vo say 850 m/s, V200 say 650 m/s, Vaverage over that trajectory say 700 m/s, would take 200/700 = 0,29 second only to reach the target. Forgetting about a quantification of the violent evasive action capabilities of the target, and same for the attacker to follow that evasive action, and forgetting about a pattern fired so far forward that the pilot in the target had a reaction time in the >0,5 second area, then would your idea still hold? It would interest me to hear about this from those who have been up there. The point is, or could be, that small caliber rounds flying at such velocities cannot be seen. Neither by the attacker, nor by the pilot in the target aircraft. The flying noise would be such that they could not hear the projectiles in flight either. From my own experiments it follows that a small caliber projectile, meaning <10mm, can be seen, if you are focussed and if lighting conditions are good, only at speeds well below 200 m/s. Poor sample count in this experiment; I assume my eyes to be as sharp and as fast as the eyes of the average guy. This might be a bit different if there is a dense pattern flying around, I don't know. It seems that there is a clear benefit in this type of extremely fast four dimensional shooting, if you can see where the pattern is going. The fighter pilot is there to control the aircraft which is there to carry & aim the guns. It seems that a tracer path offers a more intuitive picture than any gun sight could do, in the days of unguided ammunitions.

Regards,

Rob
Old 9th September 2008, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Philips View Post
Regarding the complexities of a hitting capability definition: let's go the hard way, and see where we end. If the matter was easy, and with that most likely well known, then I would not have raised it.
Ok, harmonisation patterns, dispersion etc, are rather easy to calculate so I'll give you some references on aiming which, I believe, is a key factor on hitting probability. I dug up this kind of material from the PRO some time ago and some of these might be the same Peter Verney refered above:

AVIA 6/16177
This is RAE report on aiming simultor but it contain some flight tested data.

DSIR 23/15015
This comparison of various fighters as aiming platform.

AIR 20/12712
Aerial gunnery theory, lots of it...

AVIA 6/17286
Effects of aiming and harmonisation patterns in air to air gunnery.

AVIA 18/1626
Aiming characteristics of fighter aircraft

AIR 77/62
Review of the Aiming errors and firing tactics of Fighter aircraft. This report is particularly good because the sources include for example Luftwaffe gun camera data.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:09

Thanks, Harri, looks promising. How can I access this material?

Aiming surely is the key factor. No hits without aiming. But I'm looking for technological ways that could possibly make it easier for the average marksman to score hits. No doubt others have given this long and deep thoughts 7 decades ago. It is just that I'm missing something, in the material I have seen so far.

Regards,

Rob
Old 10th September 2008, 00:26

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...efault.asp?j=1

In practice you should go there, digital cameras are allowed... or order the copies (rather expensive).
Old 10th September 2008, 13:36

Thanks, Harri.

Does any of the forum visitors have any of the documents mentioned by Harri available, as that would be the fast way to obtain the information?

Regards,

Rob
Old 10th September 2008, 13:51

Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Pihl View Post
I'm not arguing wether USAF swould have done better with something else than the M2. I merely replied to your point that the Germans and Russians went towards lower velocity, higher caliber weapons, my point being that the USAF stayed on higher velocity weapon, the M2, and even did consider another high velocity weapon, the 15mm MG 151, which was replaced by lower velocity weapon in Germany. In other words I'm saying that the air forces selected weapons with different standards and the USAF experience is just as relevant as German and Russian experience because the USAF results are undeniable (actually same can't be said about German results).

Infact I agree with you that the USAF might have done better by adopting a cannon like the Hispano or the MG 151. However, it's not the point discused here.
To be precise, the M2 was a moderately high-velocity gun (the muzzle velocity was little more than the 20mm Hispano's) and they rejected an extremely high-velocity one (the T17 - the MG 151 copy - was chambered for the US 15.2x115 round, far more powerful than the MG 151's 15x96).

I suspect that there were two reasons why the US stayed with the .50: it was the only reliable aircraft gun they had, and it proved adequate as long as they fitted at least six of them. That is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

The following extract from a 1944 US evaluation may be of interest:
"As it is now, we have the 50-cal. gun which has reached its peak. The only improvements will be minor. The only good increase is to increase the number of guns. So it seems to be just about the right time to look for a better weapon. There are two possibilities here - the one we have and the one we might get shortly. The one we have is a 20-mm gun. I think very highly of it. In fact, it is one we have here, and it is one in hand. It won't do what the 60 will do, but we haven't got the 60, and we won't have it for a year. So, we are gradually working into all of our aircraft the 20-mm gun. To give you some idea of the 50 versus the 20 and dispel a lot of ideas that have bothered us, I would like to give you a comparison. When somebody goes from four 50's to two 20's, to the layman that means a decrease in fire power. Actually, quite the reverse is true. In the horsepower of the gun, one 20 is equal to three .50-calibers. In the actual rate of fire delivered at the target, one 20 equals three 50's; in kinetic energy at 500 yards, one 20 equals two and one half 50's.[N.B. This takes no account of the effect of the HE content of the 20mm shells]

That adds up to four 20's equaling twelve 50 calibers, judging by those standards. Of course you have other advantages of the 20. You have the much greater penetration of armor. The 20 will go through 3/4 inch of armor at 500 yards, while the .50 cal, will go through only .43. In addition to that you have one more great advantage - that is you can have longer and more frequent bursts without damage to the gun with the 20 than you can have from the .50 cal. That is important for the strafing airplane, because they are burning up their barrels and ruining their guns on one flight. Sometimes it is long before that one flight is over. They will come down with screaming barrels and get trigger happy, and then all the barrels are gone in one flight. It should not happen in a 20mm. Of course, you have disadvantages. You have a heavier installation, one-half as much ammunition for the same weight. Our standard ammunition in the Navy is 400 rounds in one gun. The Fleet has set up 30 seconds of fire as a minimum requirement for the .50 cal gun. We can't do that with the 20, so we give them 200 rounds. The 20 is lethal enough to get far more results out of that 200 rounds than the .50 ever will out of 400 rounds."

From: "USN Report of Joint Fighter Conference NAS Patuxent River". (October 1944)
Old 10th September 2008, 16:13

PeterVerney

Fascinating stuff. Actually our pilots were taught deflection shooting on the Mosquito which had a fixed ring gun sight!.
The radius could be varied by setting the span of the target aircraft and so the range would be correct when the targets span filled the ring. With me so far; then pilots were taught to "lead off" by say "half a rad", or "one and a half rads", according to their judgement of angle off and closing speed.
If you have shot birds or game with a shotgun you will know what I mean. In fact we had a supply of shotguns, clay pigeons and ammo so that the pilots could practice. In addition we did many sorties of "cine", where aircraft flew in pairs and took turns to be fighter and target. High quarter attacks were the norm and cine taken when the pilot judged he was right. Then the films were assesed, frame by frame to judge how good the pilot was and he was criticised as required. I used to help our gunnery officer by doing some of this tedious work, in retrurn for a go on the clay pigeon shoots.
When we got the Meteor, with a gyro gunsight, of course things were much easier to assess, but as in all instances accurate flying was essential.
I must visit the NA again, I had no idea of all those references that's a goldmine. What I put down here is dredged from some recess of my antique brain.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:09

Thanks, Peter. Your brain is probably well filled rather than antique. Furthermore, that term also means "value increases with age".

The statement that clay pigeon shooting was one form of preparation for aerial combat, is very clarifying.

Regards,

Rob