Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd March 2006, 08:11

stefaan
500 RAF Sqn

Hi from S africa.
I am busy on a book on 15 Sqn SAAF that was ,with 454 RAAF, 500 RAF, part of 235 then 253 Wing.201 Naval Coop Group.
I need someone to help me with the colour of the Baltimores once they became a Light Bomber Wing at about Aug 44.I have spoken to many Vets and they seem to remember grey and greens,or a green tinge all over.
I hava an idea that it was OD/ neutral Grey but nobody has ever confirmed it for me.I have seen both high contrast and low contrast schemes.I also have a/c in an overall single colour that appear lighter than OD.
In the beginning they operated in daylight but became night bombers in Jan 45.
Does anybody have any data??
I have not seen Ian Baker ever describing those colours in his series in Aircraft Modelworld.Did he ever write about the Med Coastal Scheme's??
I also have a few articles from Ian Huntley but he only mentions the Desert Scheme in the ones I have.
If someone has any data on 500 RAF or 454 RAAF Sqn it will help as they used the same colours and frequently shared the same a/c at one stage or another as they were rotated throught the 3 sqn's.
Thanks
Stefaan Bouwer
Old 28th March 2006, 11:12

dakota is on a distinguished road
Re: 500 RAF Sqn

Hi Stefaan,
If you get the following Web Site it will give you all the information on 500 Sqdn. (it does not however, give you the colour schemes for the Sqdn's Balitimores.
But if you click on "contact me" section I am sure the organiser will be able to assist you as he has helped me greatly in the past.

The web site is "Air of Authority" (http://www.rafweb.org/Index.htm)

Good luck with your search.

dakota
Old 29th March 2006, 14:10

stefaan

Thanks.Will doStefaan
Old 29th February 2008, 23:57

RossGmann is on a distinguished road

The following Attachment may be of interest. It list members of 454 Squadron who lost their lives during WW2. It excludes losses from Accident or Illness

Kind regards

RossAttachment 1892
Old 1st March 2008, 11:21

stefaan

Hi Ross.
Thanks for the info.
My book is now with the publishers.Waiting to get some funding to get it iff the ground.
Take care