Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st August 2012, 00:32

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
eBay Bf110 with unknown emblem

Hi all
At eBay here is a close up of an emblem on the nose of a Bf110. There are some similarities to 4./KG76, but I cannot find it in the usual sources, any ideas much appreciated.

Ian
Old 1st August 2012, 10:44

Buckeye30 is on a distinguished road
Re: eBay Bf110 with unknown emblem

Ian it's very similar to 1./KG30 as on their Ju.88s; usually on a white shield though. No doubt it was Chamberlain's umbrella ( popular image). 4./KG76 had a duck wearing a British helmet under a gunsight.
Regards Nick
Old 1st August 2012, 17:17
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

See Ketley & Rolfe # 313, 1998 Edition. I can't say it with certainty but it is too close for coincidence in my view.

Ed
Old 1st August 2012, 19:50

Thanks folks, the shield is missing and the position of the umbrella is different, but I agree that 1./KG 30 could be an option.

Cheers
Ian
Old 5th August 2012, 08:57
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Gentlemen,

This "original" picture has been published in Luftwaffe im Focus N°5, page 12, 2004.
Some times - if not much of the time - I wonder WHO is really selling pictures on eBay.

Tschüss, Franck.
Old 5th August 2012, 14:44

Thanks Franck for the pointer. The photo is much clearer here, but they are also unable to offer an answer for attribution of this emblem, other than speculation that that it is 1939-40 period (I certainly agree) and a personal emblem (not sure about that?)

Ian
Old 5th August 2012, 22:31
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, Franck.

Just curious with regards to your comment on who is really selling photos on eBay. What did you mean?

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 5th August 2012, 23:00

I am sure that Franck can explain this himself, but I assume that he is referring to the situation of previously published photos appearing on eBay, especially when sellers claim that they are from private collections or are originals. Hopefully most of us are aware that most eBay photos have been available before and many are published photos.

Ian
Old 5th August 2012, 23:13
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad, but true. However, I would like to point out that at least one good source did mention that multiple copies were made and given out to comrades at the time. Among the reasons: to celebrate a certain number of missions flown, to be able to provide photos of Knight's Cross holders to others due to their hero status, or just as a favor to fellow crew members.

Ed
Old 6th August 2012, 00:28
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

I'm also sure that some people are buying photos on eBay, making high-res digital copies, then selling on the originals as a way to keep the investment costs down in their collections. I see a lot of evidence of that. As far as I'm concerned it is the high-res images that are what is really valuable for historical documentation purposes, not just being able to say that you own a print of the original, which is not necessarily unique and exclusive (and often has nothing to do with copyright issues).

I also think that some who have built up large collections of photos have, for various financial reasons, been forced to liquidate all or parts of their collections to raise cash. Nothing wrong with that. That's how a marketplace works.

Regards,