Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th January 2013, 14:31
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
location mobile GCI unit Java I Eastern Front during August 1943?

Dear all,

I would like to know where the mobile Eisenbahn (railroad) Nachtjagd GCI unit Java I was temporarily based on the Eastern Front during August 1943, as I would like to establish the identity of two claims by Hptm. von Meien of 2./NJG100, who achieved his first two confirmed combat victories, over two PS-84s, during a GCI sortie under control of Java I on 12-13 August 1943. Claims details are:

Hptm. Ulrich von Meien: 1 2./NJG100 PS-84 7 km SE Nowkovka (Java I): 3.000 m 00.16
Hptm. Ulrich von Meien: 2 2./NJG100 PS-84 5 km E. Nowkovka (Java I): 2.500m. 00.27

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers, Theo
Old 5th January 2013, 18:45
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: location mobile GCI unit Java I Eastern Front during August 1943?

The Java I and Java II radar trains were operated by 6.Kp./Ln.-Rgt. 42 (FpN: L 51 412) in summer 1943. It arrived in the Luftflotte 6 area on the Central Sector of the Eastern Front in June 1943 to control night fighter operations.

In 25 years of researching, including all of the surviving HGr., AOK and rückw.Armee-Gebiete records for that area and time period, I was never able to discover any more information.

Perhaps one of our members here - SES - can provide something more.

L.
Old 5th January 2013, 20:38

SES

Hi my friends,
These fighter controller trains are not very well covered in the source, which hitherto have been found.
Here is the extend of my knowledge:
http://www.gyges.dk/Ln%20zbV%202.htm
please note some sub-links.
JAVA I is mentioned in the monthly report from XII Fliegerkorps from August 1943 with five kills. But the map attached to the report does not depict the location of the train. Since the Würzburg Riese used for target tracking and intercept control had a max. range of 80 km, JAVA I must have been located less than 80 km from the position of the claims.
bregds
SES
Old 5th January 2013, 21:40
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

I don`t know if my information`s will be of any help but during the night of 12-13.8.43 the crews of 4th Guard Air Corps and 6th Air Corps were attacking railway targets in the area of Poltawa and Krasnograd.
Two crews (skippers were Leonow and Sidorow) from no.4 Guard Air Regiment (no.62 Air Division) failed to return. At 01.22 hrs a burning aircraft was seen by Russian air controllers on an altitude of 3000 m and it crashed NE of Poltawa exploding on impact. At 01.27 hrs another aircraft burst in flames on an altitude of 3500 m 7 km NE of Poltawa. It also crashed on the ground. Both Li-2 aircraft were shot down by fighters.
Later these information`s were updated:
the crew of Leonow attacked railway station at Poltawa and during homeward flight the aircraft was attacked by Bf109 at 01.10 hrs. Two attacks were made: one abeam and one astern. The aircraft was shot in flames and crashed down. The crew bailed out. One airman (Leonow) managed to cross the frontline. Further details unknown. Other crewmembers were:
Griszin (navigator), Garach (flight engineer), Zinkiewicz (wireless operator), Chorjakow (gunner). They were captured (all were wounded by enemy fire) by the Germans and were visited by a German officer, who shot their a/c down. He stated that he made three attacks and asked them, which attack was crucial. After short conversation he wished them getting well and disappeared.
All crew of Sidorow was killed (Szewierew, Pieczenkin navigator, Obronow flight engineer, Maliuta wireless operator, Ziglow gunner).
Further two crews of no.62 Air Division were attacked by German night fighters but were not hit (crews of Rjabczuk and Trocenko).

Last edited by robert; 5th January 2013 at 23:33.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:15
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Hello chaps,

Very interesting indeed, many thanks for your greatly appreciated input! I wonder if the claims locations of von Meien's two claims on 12-13.8.43 are mis-spelled. He achieved another Abschuss NE of Poltava on the next night, also under control of Java I:

13-14 August 1943

Hptm. Ulrich von Meien: 3 2./NJG100 DB-3 22 km. NE Poltava (Java I): 2.900 m. 00.24

Cheers, Theo
Old 5th January 2013, 23:53
Alter Hase

On this night 2nd Air Corps was engaged in the area of Poltawa. There were many fighter attacks.
At 02.25 hrs in the area of Obojani on an altitude of 2000 m the aircraft of Major Smirnow (no.8 Guard Air Regiment ADD) was pursued by Bf110. The German pilot got within range but did not open the fire!
Slightly later in the same area but on an altitude of 5000 m the aircraft of Byczkow was attacked by 2 Bf110`s. After three passes the Russian crew was able to dive away.
One crew failed to return. It was the crew of Grudakow. The last radio message had been received at 23.46 hrs from the area of Liwny. Later it had been found out that 5 minutes after a bomb attack on Poltawa the aircraft was attacked by Bf109. Already the first burst was accurate. The left engine was shot in flames and the gunner was wounded. The crew was ordered to bail out. The aircraft crashed 5 km NE of Nowo-Dubno (12 km W of Dikanka).

Robert
Old 6th January 2013, 10:18
Alter Hase

Hello Robert,

Cheers & thanks for this detailed info about the events on 13-14 August 1943 and von Meien's claim, much appreciated!

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers, Theo
Old 6th January 2013, 10:32

SES

Hi Robert,
Do you have a period map, which shows a railroad in the area?
bregds
SES
Old 6th January 2013, 10:49
Alter Hase

Hi Ses,

no I haven`t.

Regards

Robert
Old 6th January 2013, 21:33

SES

Hi,
As I suspected that part of the world is not overcrowded with railways please see:
http://en.18dao.net/images/2/24/Map-Ukraine.jpg
my estimate is that JAVA I must have been sited on the line between Poltava and Lubuy.
bregds
SES