Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st August 2012, 23:49

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
"Messerschmitt Me 262 and its Variants", by Manfred Griehl

Dear All,

The text for this book, with the exception of the additional text for the Me 262 Project new builds, is paraphrased from the book Messerschmitt ME 262, by Manfred Griehl, The Luftwaffe Profile Series No. 1, Schiffer Military / Aviation History, Schiffer Publishing Ltd., Atglen, PA, c. 1995. The current issue says it was originally published under the title Flugzeug Profile 48, Messerschmitt Me 262 Varianten, while the previous English publication was taken from Flugzeug Profile 13, Me 262 Varienten, BestNr. 1026.

A general history is presented, followed by a very brief description of the first Me 262 victory. What makes this book of particular interest are its histories of:

Messerschmitt Me 262 "Pulzerstörer" - the Me 262 A-1a/U4 equipped with the MK 214 cannon

Me 262 "Heimatachützer II" - the Me 262 C-2b with BMW 003R engines

Otherwise, the text is pretty slim and the book essentially a photo album. And here it gets into a lot of trouble. Presentation of the period photos is of generally very poor quality. These are in rather stark contrast to the high quality modern day color photos, which include a nice selection of those of Me 262 Project new build aircraft. Compounding the photo problem, however, are the numerous photo caption errors and gaffs.

There is a center foldout giving a color 3-view with 6 color profiles, none of which to be proud of. There is a nice detail foldout drawing, the same as in the 1995 book.

The 2 variant histories are worth reading and the Me 262 Project photos are nice. Other than these, the book leaves a good bit to be desired.

Regards,
Richard
Old 2nd August 2012, 02:30
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: "Messerschmitt Me 262 and its Variants", by Manfred Griehl

I do recall that the original Flugzeug Profiles aren't too good in photo quality department either. Whatever the reason may be, I have never seen a book on German (or British) WW2 aircraft that would have photo quality equal to e.g. Specialty Press's "Building the P-51 Mustang", Gerry Balzer's book on US pusher projects or many other books on US aircraft.