Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th May 2014, 21:42
geahanse

The Luftwaffe Stabsfeldwebel rank

I have a question regarding the Stabsfeldwebel rank in the Luftwaffe. How was it possible for someone to hold this rank? While it seems to be a rare rank to hold, I've done some research and found people holding this rank early in the war in 1941 as a bomber crewman, particularly a bordmechanik in a Junkers Ju-88. Wasn't the rank introduced in 1938 for NCO's reenlisting after 13 years of previous service in World War I or after 13 years of continuous service? From what I read, almost all the men who served in aircraft weren't even old enough to have served in World War I and the Luftwaffe itself wasn't even around for 13 years itself, so how was this possible? Perhaps I don't have a definite understanding of the rank. There seems to be confusion when I read about the Hauptfeldwebel rank vs Stabsfeldwebel and I've noticed sources seem to contradict each other when it comes to which rank was higher.

I've also attached a photo I've found on Flickr which shows what is claimed to be a Stabsfeldwebel with a canvas flight helmet. The same picture appears in the book Hitler's Eagles: The Luftwaffe 1933-45 by Chris McNab which claims the man is a stabsfeldwebel. How can one tell he is a Stabsfeldwebel if the collar patches are the only signs of rank shown, which are identical to those of an Oberfeldwebel?
Old 18th May 2014, 14:49

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road
Re: The Luftwaffe Stabsfeldwebel rank

Hello,
Oberfeldwebel & Stabsfeldwebel wear the same collarpatches, but the rangboard is different (Ofw. 2 silver stars, Stfw. 3 silver stars) Also the special rangboard for flying suits is different. Hauptfeldwebel is not an rang at is own, it's simply the Company-Sergeant. Even an Feldwebel or an Unteroffizier can serve as an Hauptfeldwebel. The german term for this NCO is "Spieß". Hauptfeldwebel wear special silver rang lace on their uniforms. Socalled "Kolbenringe". On duty they have power over all other NCO's in the Company. Would be funny at special cases!!! (Feldwebel serve as "Spieß" and got disziplin problems with an Stabsfeldwebel or an Oberfähnrich!!!!)

From my knowlege volunteers sign an contract serving more than 13 Years as an professional NCO in the Wehrmacht, after seven years of service and with the rang as Oberfeldwebel they can be promoted with the rang of an Stabsfeldwebel.
h.
Old 19th May 2014, 10:29

Hello,
there are3 Stabsfeldwebel from the Stukas (Dive Bomber) with the Ritterkreuz:

Stfw. Albert Bock, St.G. 2, 4. Sept. 1941

Stfw. Georg Jauernick, St.G. 77, 27. Nov. 1942

Stfw. Rudolf Weigel, St.G. 77, 27. April 1942

All promoted later as Officers.

Another Stfw. and Pilot was Rudolf Martens, 5./JG 1, he served as Schwarmführer and got lost with his Wingman Ltn. Harald Schilling near Tolurnai on 24.Januar 1944 (Dogfight with P-47)

He and his Fw 190A-6, black 9, WNr. 550 755 (11. Januar 1944) are part at an scene at the Wochenschau-Movie later that month. One can cleary seen the Stabsfeldwebel-rangboards at his Flying Jacket!

h.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:57
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hello Hans,

Could you tell me how / where I can watch this reel with Rudolf MARTENS ?

Thanks

ClinA-78
Old 19th May 2014, 12:04

Hello,
in Eric Mommbecks books "Defender of the Reich, JG 1" Volume 3, you will find photos from this Wochenschau. Is Eric member of this forum? I'm sure, he make this picutres from the Wochenschau-Movie.
Bests,
hans

Last edited by hanshauprich; 21st May 2014 at 11:39.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:41

Photos rangboard Stabsfeldwebel
Old 21st May 2014, 17:01
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Hans,

I will look into the book, I just missed it ! I will contact Erik if needed.

ClinA-78

Tags
luftwaffe, ranks, stabsfeldwebel