Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th November 2013, 17:27

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Re: Junkers Ju 88 A-4 and C-6 in 3D

Thanks Clint, here's the one I found:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...b-iv-267775516

So from the looks of things, this is not the aircraft Tober flew on 30 January 1944 (which would then be R4+LS 750811 and fully destroyed in the crash). If Ed and Wikipedia are correct on the timings, then the Lichtenstein SN-2 indicates it's a later crash than Tober's, but not much later, as the photos still show a wintery scene.

Old 17th November 2013, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
There exists a Flugzeug drawing on the Ju 88, showing a C-6 with 4R+AS on the fuselage and a code on the flame damper but the scan I have of this is too small to make out what it says. Maybe someone has this drawing and can confirm what's written on that flame damper.
The drawing appears to show "AS LA".

AS = the machine's ID
LA = possibly Links/Aus? (left-outer)

This would make sense, so ground crew know what airplane the flame damper belongs to and what location it is to be fixed. If my guess is right, the other flame dampers would then be marked AS LI, AS RI and AS RA from left to right. But I can't confirm any of this currently.

Old 17th November 2013, 18:58
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

W.Nr. 750451 has no info in my file. Using others "artwork" as referance is only begging for more inaccuracy. In my view you are on a Ghost chase. Code "4R+AR" is only known long after Tober had been injured, and two aircraft with this code are known in May and June 1944. But neither is Ju 88 C-6, sorry. The unit code "4R+ " for NJG 2 first appears from about 16 March 1944, so far as I know. -ed.
Old 17th November 2013, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Using others "artwork" as referance is only begging for more inaccuracy.
I totally agree, which is why I don't. But it would be interesting to find out where this WNr comes from and perhaps the author of these decals knows more than we do?

So currently were are reduced to three photos of a Lichtenstein SN-2-equipped Ju 88 C-6 wreck which most likely has the letters "AS" on the rear fuselage and flame dampers, somewhere in or near Holland in early 1944. Anything else is just speculation...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
"4R+AR"
Just to be sure, this is a typo and should be 4R+AS? It's confusing enough all...

Last edited by Skyraider3D; 17th November 2013 at 20:37.
Old 17th November 2013, 22:25

I went back through my files on Friedrich Tober to see if I have overlooked something, and sure enough I did:

This is an excerpt of Tober's flight log. And sure enough, on 24 March 1944 Tober made an emergency landing outside of Erfurt-Bindersleben airfield as a result of engine failure and enemy fire! This seems to match the photos of (assumed) 4R+AS a lot more and a more logical time frame for the Lichtenstein SN-2 radar. Note also the tactics of that night's flight: guided hunt ("Tame Boar").

The scenery near Erfurt-Bindersleben is indeed very rural, with large open fields. It's nearly as flat as Holland though, but looking at the photo from the In Action book more closely, there actually appears to be a shallow hill in the background.

So could this then be the actual date of the photo? (next day 25 March 1944 most likely)
Does anyone know of any losses for NJG 2 for 24 March 1944?

And in all fairness, the In Action book never linked the photo of Tober's crashlanding to Tober's crash on 30 January. Not sure where this link originates from but it's clear that the winter of 1944 was an interesting one for Herr Tober (who, by the way, is still alive, I believe). And it also suggests Ed was right that they didn't send a Lichtenstein SN-2 equipped fighter on a daytime hunt. Hopefully this ghost hunt will produce some answers eventually!

Tags
3d art, ju 88 a-4, ju 88 c-6, junkers ju 88, luftwaffe