Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 7th May 2018, 20:40

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road
US Navy Patrol Bomber Units in WW2

Hi,
has anyone seen this site, history of each Navy patrol Bomber unit noted plus appendix 4 gives all air to air combat claims

Bruce Lander

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-volume-2.html
Old 7th May 2018, 21:37
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: US Navy Patrol Bomber Units in WW2

Wow Bruce that is a impressive site. Where did it come from? Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:55
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Many years ago Naval History published Volume 1 of their history of Naval Aviation units, covering Attack units. This came out in hardcover, and was eventually available as a CD of the PDFs of each chapter. When it came to doing Volume 2, on Patrol units, they didn't have the money to produce a hardcover book, so it was released as a CD of PDFs. This website is that collection of PDFs.

I rather suspect that they will never (get around to | be able to afford) doing a third volume, which would presumably cover Fighter units. Which of course is the most important volume.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:43

twocee is on a distinguished road

"a third volume, which would presumably cover Fighter units. Which of course is the most important volume."

That is of course a matter of opinion!

The Attack unit volume was kept to a manageable size by leaving out most of the WWII VB/VT squadrons, presumably on the grounds that they did not survive to become redesignated as VA. This trick would not work with the VFs and so any book on them would presumably have to be multi-volume.
Old 8th May 2018, 21:06

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road

Hi John,
just really stumbled across it, I had just finished reading the novel "Goodbye to Some" by Gordon Forbes - a terrific semi-factual book based on the authors WW2 service with a Liberator patrol Wing in 1945. and googled US Navy patrol Bomber units !

Hi Frank , did you cover these units in your US Navy Victories Book ? ( I have never seen a copy but note that you did publish one.)
Cheers
Bruce Lander
Old 8th May 2018, 22:11
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Bruce,
No, I did not cover the patrol bomber units in my original USN Victory List. I have since copied the relevant records at NARA II, and have included them in my database. When I manage to start producing my victory lists again, the patrol bomber units will be included in the USN victory list. This will probably not happen until The History of the Mediterranean Air War series is finished.

Enjoy!

Frank.