Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th September 2018, 18:31

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Re: Me 262 B3+AL Question

They are visible but not legible, alas.

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 12th September 2018, 19:55

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Jean-Yves,

Thanks for the additional information. Though sadly illegible, the position of the werknummer on the aircraft, the size / dimensions of the digits, and distance between each digit can assist in the machine’s possible identity, or at least Werknummerserien.

As well, in the summer of 1944 KG51 received many Me262s finished in the now highly inappropriate grey 74/74 scheme (from the 170xxx and 130xxx series), and took it upon themselves to quickly alter it with an application of a dark green to better improve ground concealment.

Cheers,

David
Old 12th September 2018, 23:00

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Thank you Jean.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:15

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Me 262 B3+AL Question

Thank you everybody for your responses! So we might never know the WN.r. But... we are still free to make educated guesses. Let's remain optimistic. We do have the ebay photo as a reference, so we are not empty handed at all. Perhaps in the future, we'll learn more.
So for my model I would just like to ask whether in your opinions, I should paint it in the mid-war grays overpainted with a heavy green mottle. Based on David's comments this would seem very possible. Claes certainly agreed. I realize this question is tied in with the WN.r, so any interpretations are speculative. That's okay! All views are welcome.

Best regards,
Jon
Old 14th September 2018, 13:52

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Me 262 B3+AL Question

Hi David,

Sorry again: it is hopeless, the photographer was too far from the plane. You just have to wait until a better picture of "Anton-Luise" tailplane appears. The vein of original and interesting photos on eBay is running out slowly, but we will still have some good surprises.
The color and size of the swastika is also a problem ... so do not trust the interpretation of Claes Sundin.

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 14th September 2018, 15:00

Thank you, Jean Yves, for your comments. While, I respect your point of view and your expertise here, I believe there is absolutely no harm in a little bit of speculation. To me, and perhaps others, it is not pointless.
Old 15th September 2018, 14:29

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough

Hi Jon,

As long as it is understood that what follows is purely speculative, I will add my two cents.

To my eye there is a slightly darker delineated hue to the area immediately behind the white ring in the nose cone of "AL" that matches the size and shape of the larger nose colour of a KG 51 aircraft. This with the single white gun instruction rectangle suggest that "AL" was an early Me 262 A-2a that was seconded to KG(J) 54 from KG 51 for training purposes.

Below, if you log in, you will find three photos of Me 262s of 1./KG 51.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=566

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=565

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=560

I suggest that the camouflage of "AL" is the same as that of these aircraft and point out that the lower squiggles on the visible engine nacelle are quite similar to those on the rear fuselage of "AL".

It would be interesting to know if the tail and rudder tip has a delineated area slightly darker than the rest of the tail suggesting a previous tail tip colour.

best regards,

Jim
Old 15th September 2018, 15:06

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your input. You know, I think I can see that slighter darker area behind the ring now that you've pointed it out. Interesting observation! I agree that the squiggly camo is similar to those early production Me 262 A2a's from KG 51 in those pics. Your theory sounds very plausible.
It's striking that the squiggles seem thicker and heavier on the empennage, especially starting from where the letter "L" is located. Elsewhere the squiggles appear much finer. As Claes's profile indicates, it looks like there might not be any squiggles on the engine nacelle of B3+AL. But from the lighting it's hard to see the delineation of the mottling.

Thank you for your insight, and for those links.

Best regards,
Jon

Tags
b3+al, me 262, messerschmitt 262