Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th March 2010, 11:35

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road
Bf 109 crash near Belgorod, 9-Jul-43

Not certain if this was discussed previously but I've got -
Bf 109 G-6 W.Nr. 20019 III./J.G. 52 listed as crashed on 9-Jul-43,
Belgorod 100% F.

Seems that this was Rall's '<<' but in this case it should not be total loss but rather slight damage resulting in landing off the airfield, not even belly landing. Any clues?

p.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:03
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109 crash near Belgorod, 9-Jul-43

Hi.

The loss reason is given as 'Absturz', but they noted in this case that the pilot was unhurt.

There are several other losses for this date and unit where the pilot was listed as missing.

Without having researched this specific incidence and with limited knowledge of JG 52 history, my opinion is that the aircraft was initially listed as lost 100%, as it was probably unknown for a limited timespan what had happened.

Then they probably got a message before they sent the file that Rall was safe, but still did not have been able to locate and or recover the aircraft he flew - thus a loss record stating 100%.

All aircraft where the pilot is listed as missing would have a 100% damage percentage attached, and for units with a tidy records keeping we see that these records are very often corrected when and if the aircraft was recovered.

In this case - if the aircraft was later recovered - it is just a wartime piece of bad clerkmanship - the guy in charge of the papers did not correct the loss record when they found out that the aircraft was in a far better shape than a 100% loss would indicate.

In my database there are numerous examples of this happening, not seldom also of course due to shifts in the frontlines, enabling recovery units to get to aircraft formerly lost on enemy territory.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 5th March 2010, 18:31

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109 crash near Belgorod, 9-Jul-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Brekken View Post
it is just a wartime piece of bad clerkmanship
I think so, because Rall flew this very machine later that day...