Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th October 2012, 23:54
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of three Do17Zs down in England during the Battle of Britain

Hello,

Although with the EOE Project photo DB, we probably have the most comprehensive collection of photos of Luftwaffe a/c that crashed in or adjacent to Britain during 1939-40 in existence, we lack photos of the following three Battle of Britain crashes, which carried markings information important for planned work on our color profile project. Does anyone have or know of a source of photos of these three a/c that crashed in England during Sept-Oct., 1940?

1) "September 15, 1940: 9./KG76 Dornier Do17Z-2 (3322). Port engine damaged during sortie to London Docks and then repeatedly attacked by fighters during return flight. Finally abandoned over Underriver, near Sevenoaks, when ailerons destroyed and steering lost 12.30 p.m. Engaged by several pilots including: Sgt E. Tyrer of No.46 Squadron, F/L R. F. Rimmer of No.229 Squadron, F/L P. M. Brothers and P/O P. A. Mortimer of No.257 Squadron, and Sgt E.W. Wright of No.605 Squadron. Believed also that attacked by P/O H. N. Tamblyn of No.242 Squadron. BO Oberfw Horst Streit, BM Fw Walter Seuffert, and FF Fw Wilhelm Raab all baled out and captured wounded, BF Uffz Erich Malter killed during fighter attacks. Aircraft F1+DT 100% write-off."
Bullet-holed prop blade recovered at the time now owned by Steve Vizard

2) "September 15, 1940: 9./KG76 Dornier Do17Z-3 (2814). Port engine set alight in attack by F/Sgt J. Kominek of No.310 (Czech) Squadron during sortie to London. Further engaged by Sgt C.A.L. Hurry and Sgt G.W. Jefferys of No.46 Squadron and bombs dumped blind before crashing at Argos Hill Lodge, Red Lane Farm, Rotherfield, 12.20 p.m. Probably that also attacked by P/O V.M.M. Ortmans and Sgt R.J. Ommaney of No.229 Squadron. BO Obergefr Kurt Böhme, BS Gefr Hans Kotouc and FF Oberfhr Anton Wagner all killed, BF Gefr Peter Holdenried attempted to bale out but killed due to parachute fouling the tailplane. Aircraft F1+AT 100% write-off."
Site investigated by the London Air Museum. Many surface fragments recovered including parachute buckles, uniform buttons and chunks of melted alloy, now held by Tangmere Military Aviation Museum."

3) "October 28, 1940: 1./KG3 Dornier Do17Z-2 (2544). Suffered engine failure during night sortie to London and crash-landed at Judges Farm, Grafty Green, near Boughton Malherbe, north-east of Ashford, 1.00 a.m. FF Fw Kurt Vosshage and HB Fw Albin Schreiber both captured badly injured - admitted to Barming hospital where the latter died next day, BF Fw Rudi Nitsch and BM Uffz Harald Hausdorf both baled out too low and killed. Aircraft 5K+CH 100% write-off."

We especially need photos showing the "pink"stripe on the rudder, and the insignia on the nose of Item #3, described in the G-Report as: "Crest; a man's figure with cockatoo's head, carrying a bomb under left arm and an owl on his right hand. All on light blue shield. A large pink horizontal stripe on rudder." The insignia is the same one that has been erroneously published in the past as that of IV.(Erg)/KG3, but which was, in fact, the insignia of I./KG3 from around mid-1940 until the unit gave up its Do17Zs for Ju88As during the spring of 1941. This includes possibly at least part of the WC, all of the BoB, and The Blitz up to the time is was withdrawn from combat to be re-equipped.

If anyone has photos of any of these crashed a/c while still in Luftwaffe service, I'd also appreciate knowing about this.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 16th October 2012, 02:55

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of three Do17Zs down in England during the Battle of Britain

Hi, Larry...

Just a point on the third aircraft you mention. You've quoted the G-Report as stating: "Crest; a man's figure with cockatoo's head, carrying a bomb under left arm and an owl on his right hand. All on light blue shield. A large pink horizontal stripe on rudder."

There is an insignia in Ketley & Rolfe (1998) #789 (or Ketley (2012) #923) showing a 'caveman' with a bomb under his left arm and a trident in his right hand. This is attributed to IV.(Erg)/KG3. Is this perhaps the same insignia you now say is that of 1./KG3, or was there a separate insignia with an owl in the right hand?

Regards,

Paul
Old 16th October 2012, 04:49
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Paul,

It is the same insignia. This insignia shows I./KG3 and NOT IV.(Erg)/KG3. Also, the cartoonish rendition of the head of the "cave man" in the insignia was mistaken for the head of a cockatoo by the person making the G-Report. See my report on this insignia (with photo) posted today on the LEMB Board under IV./KG3. The "owl" on a staff rather than the trident was apparently a variation on this theme. The insignia in K & R has been erroneously identified all the way back to the Karl Ries books.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 16th October 2012, 09:28

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

This topic here Paul: http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...opic=12581&hl=
Old 16th October 2012, 20:49

Hi, Larry...

Thanks very much indeed for your response. I will update my photos of aircraft with this emblem accordingly, and adjust the caption on the Ketley & Rolfe/Ketley publications.

Clint...

Thanks to you too for the link to the LEMB thread... a lot of interesting detail there as well.

Kindest regards,

Paul
Old 16th October 2012, 21:13
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Paul,

I'm assembling all the known photos of Do17s with this insignia in the EoE Photo DB. These will be used to select the probably up to 16 color profiles of specific a/c needed to represent I./KG3 for the EoE project. That's a mighty tall order, but I think that it can be done. If you have or know of photos that aren't posted on the LEMB thread, I'd appreciate copies. Much of what I have in the DB is there, but there are some that are not.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 19th October 2012, 01:18

Hi, Larry...

Only two I haven't seen in the threads, attached for you here. No unit codes, but they illustrate the insignia well. Hope they might be useful to you.

Both from expired ebay auctions.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by obdl3945; 25th September 2013 at 03:15.