Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th October 2012, 21:19

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Requesting help with markings of Hurricane MK1's - RAF No.1 Squadron-Oct-1940 please?

Currently a friend of mine is working on the paint scheme (digital) for a Hurricane Mark 1 showing the aircraft flown by Tim Elkington in 1940.

Tim joined No. 1 Squadron RAF at RAF Northolt.
He flew Hurricanes with No. 1 Sqn during the Battle of Britain but was shot down and wounded on 16 August 1940.

I have so-far these (brief) details.

Lettering was JX-O

Serial was P3173 (thanks to Chris Goss for that info.)

However the question I have been asked to try and find out is as follows;

"can you send me info on JX-O (A/B scheme, underside colour, roundel types/size etc)"

and that gents (and of-course ladies) is where I come to you with cap in hand!

I appreciate it may not be possible to exactly replicate Tim's aircraft, but the above details would greatly help the progress if anyone can help?

I hope that someone can tell me what No.1 Squadron aircraft were painted like around August 1940. Any help/input/advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers, MP
Old 18th October 2012, 01:18
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Requesting help with markings of Hurricane MK1's - RAF No.1 Squadron-Oct-1940 please?

Firstly

Starting with the very first Hurricane, L1547, which had an ‘A’ scheme, all Hurricanes in this and subsequent batches with ‘odd numbered’ serials had ‘A’ schemes and all Hurricanes with ‘even’ serials had ‘B’ schemes.

Secondly you need to find out whether the Codes and individual letter were reversed on the sides and could look like O-JX on one side and JX-O on the other.

See attached example of a B scheme

Last edited by Larry; 9th May 2015 at 00:27.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:45

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Re: Requesting help with markings of Hurricane MK1's - RAF No.1 Squadron-Oct-1940 please?

Well interestingly I found this image from October 1940 (not of Tim's aircraft):

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210784

So it looks like by that time the powder Blue underneath colouring had been applied. I understand that the Black/White undersides were replaced in June of 1940?

Cheers, MP
Old 18th October 2012, 21:28
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

The undersides were painted Sky - which I wouldn't quite term powder blue, but some might - as of June 6th 1940. There was apparently some initial confusion over just what colour was required, but I don't know how this would affect 1 Sq. Without specific information otherwise, Sky is the safest bet. The photo is a good guide to the size and style of the lettering, which did vary from unit to unit, although the roundels were fairly standardised by then. I would assume a black spinner, unless other information is known.