Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th December 2006, 22:25

stinger is on a distinguished road
Question Erich Hartmann's 109 G6

Hello all - Just joined the forum. Nice place you have here!!

I have a question about one of Erich Hartmann's Bf109 G6's. I am building a model of it for a friend in Germany and I want it to be as accurate as possible (I know this isn't a modeling forum, but thought it would be the best source for info). Anyway, my question is this:

I have a decal sheet for his G6 as flown over Hungary in October, 1944, also known as "White 1". This decal sheet and camo guide, and the cover of the book "The Blond Knight of Germany" (Toliver and Constable) both show this A/C with yellow under the nose along with the black tulips. I have also seen other camo guides showing this A/C without the yellow nose. Which is correct?

Any help is appreciated,

stinger
Old 26th December 2006, 19:51
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Erich Hartmann

Hi Stinger

Welcome to TOCH! I have a number of profiles made by Claes Sundin of this fighter, as well as others flown by Hartmann, and all include the yellow under cowling. I should add that according to the profile caption this fighter was a Bf 109 G-14/AM of either 4. or 7./JG 52 and is dated 27 October 1944. I am not much of an expert on JG 52 markings, especially the late war ones, but Mr Sundin is a respected artist who knows far more on the subject than I. I should add his and Christer Bergstrom's remarks on the yellow under cowling from More Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft in Profile: "The painting of the underside of the engine cowling was made at depot and unit level, but there are evidence on hand that it was in fact also undertaken at the different aircraft plants. It should be noted that this regulation was followed with German perseverance; the yellow underside of the engine cowling characterized the appearance of German single-engined day-fighter aircraft on all fronts until the beginning of 1945. Following the disastrous German fighter attack on the air bases on the Western Front on New Year's Eve 1945, the yellow color of the underside gradually disappeared." I hope that this helps out a little and perhaps more knowledgeable TOCH members will wish to add to this.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 27th December 2006, 16:51

stinger is on a distinguished road
Re: Erich Hartmann's 109 G6

Leo - Thanks for your reply and the info. There seems to be a lot of confusion between the G-6 and G-14 aircraft as used by Hartmann, however, it is becoming apparent that more people (and references) lean more toward the G-14 as being the correct model. I suppose the best thing to do now is to get a G-14 kit and build it that way instead.

thanks again,
stinger