Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th June 2005, 14:53

Jon
Self Sealing fuel tanks

What was the purpose of the thick leather sewn around the fuel tanks on the HE111.
Was it part of the self sealing system or to stop static electricity etc !!!!
Old 30th June 2005, 23:07

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Self Sealing fuel tanks

Hi Jon,

The leather was at least on some aircraft from moose sourced in Norway. It was used on other aircraft than the He 111, like for example the Ju 88. THere is a fuel tank from a Ju 88 on show at the Technicki Muzej, Zagreb which is opened up so that one can see the construction of the fuel tank and it includes leather too. Also in the Ju 88s under restoration in Norway have they found the same construction.

The fuel tanks where made out of rubber, so I guess the leather wasn't needed for static electricity, but it would rather have been a part of the self sealing fuel tank construction. At least that is my guess.

Best wishes
/Mikael
Old 1st July 2005, 00:53

David Ransome
Re: Self Sealing fuel tanks

Hi,

Yes, I believe that the leather was part of the self sealing system. Whilst I have found leather 'binding' on fuel tanks I have also found man made heavy duty fabric used on similar tanks, but generally from a later aircraft.

I think that the leather/fabric was possibly used to retain the shape and integrity of the rubber? I've got a copy of a British report on German self sealing tanks somewhere but regrettably would have great difficulty in trying to locate it in the foreseeable future - possibly from a 1940 aircraft magazine?

Regards

David