Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st April 2014, 15:20
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Graham Hulse

Keith

You initially claim that "your" Hulse was with 93 Sq (which was based in Italy at the time). Have you abandoned that theory or is there a possibillity of the existance of two Hulse after all?

Looking up Hulse in Shores' Those other Eagles, Hulse is not listed as serving with either 93 or 94 Sq. According to Shores, Hulse was promoted to F/Off on 29 Nov 1943 most probably still with 81 Sq. The damaged claim on 12 Nov 1944 is not listed in this work. Could be an oversight of course...

However with one possible Hulse in 93 Sq and another one in 94 Sq it worries me a bit about the possibillity of a mix up between the two, so is it possible to be 100 exact here?

Cheers
Stig
Old 21st April 2014, 19:01
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

It would be great if the details would be confirmed, as I would like to include the info in a book I am currently working on.

Any further info on Bulgarian victories/losses after 26 August 1944 would be welcome.

Thanks, again,
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:55
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

Sorry, chum

Not much information I am afraid. The location is given as "over the Vardar Valley". Hope this helps.

best regards

Keith
Old 24th April 2014, 17:51
Alter Hase

Sorry for the delay in replying to you Stig. Hulse isn't a common English name and therefore two Hulse's flying Spitfires in Italy in late 1943-early 1944 would be unusual but as you rightly say, not impossible. Plus both Duncan-Smith and a newspaper article mention that he evaded after being shot down, although the newspaper article doesn't state his unit at the time. As you know 81 Squadron went to the Far East in late 1943 and it would not seem likely that Hulse returned from there in 1944 to join 94 Squadron, so it seemed likely that given he was already long into his tour of operations he was transferred to another DAF unit. He isn't mentioned in any accounts of 81 Squadron in Burma.

He is definitely the pilot that joined 213 Squadron in April 1945, probably because 94 Squadron was in the process of disbanding.

cheers

Keith
Old 24th April 2014, 20:22
Alter Hase

Found the article...

Flight Lieutenant Graham Hulse arrived at Kimpo in September 1952. He was on loan from the RAF to the USAF for two years to gain experience in the F-86 Sabre. During World War 2 Hulse was a Sgt Pilot in no. 122 and no. 81 Squadron in 1942-43, flying combat over Europe against the Luftwaffe, then transferred to no. 93 Squadron in the Far East. When he was shot down in Spring 1944, evading capture, he had 2 confirmed victories, plus a 3rd that he scored in April 1945 with no. 213 Squadron after being promoted to Flight Lieutenant. Houston Tuel - "A tall blonde, affable veteran of the Battle of Britain, he rapidly became one of our most admired and respected pilots. We listened intently to his accounts of his combat missions in defense of Britain, often told with self-deprecating humor. His skill as a story teller was legendary.

Sabre Jet Classics magazine
Old 25th April 2014, 16:01
Alter Hase

Well Keith

We still have a problem!
First of all I don't understand why the article states Hulse was transferred to the Far East since only his unit went there. So I agree with you that he remained in Med area. But unfortunately it does not give us any final clue if he was with 93 Sq or 94 Sq

As mentioned before, Shores does not list him with either unit so I am unable to make any further comment about either his victory or shoot down.

But it would be nice if we can unite about which unit it was. Since he was involved with Bulgarian missions, I find it more likely he was with 94 than 93 Sq since the former went to Greece while 93 stayed in Italy. Or did he serve with both units? That would basically solve the problem....

Cheers
Stig
Old 25th April 2014, 18:04
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMk11 View Post
The unit's last combat was 31/3/45, when a 109 was shot down. This was thought to be Bulgarian and wasn't in fact claimed; it was shared by S/L John Slade, F/O Rodney Simmonds (Rhod), and two others. See FlyPast Jan 2010 for further details!
Bruce
Additionally, this claim should also be clarified. Was this one Bulgarian, too?
Old 26th April 2014, 15:35
Alter Hase

He is mentioned specifically as Graham Hulse in "Barney Barnfather: life on Spitfire Squadron" as a Flying Officer in 94 Squadron in December 1944 and is still there in January 1945. In "Hornet Sting" by Frank Leeson he is reported as joining 213 a Flight Lieutenant from 94 Squadron
Old 26th April 2014, 15:42
Alter Hase

....sorry, sent it prematurely

His first tour of operations would probably have ended in 1944, given that he'd been on active service since the Summer of 1942. As I say I am pretty sure that the coincidence of Duncan Smith mentioning a Sergeant Hulse of 93 Squadron in May 1944 seems too close to avoid making a strong case for this being Graham Hulse. I know Chris Shores doesn't mention this is Hulse's biography but...

best regards

Keith
Old 26th April 2014, 17:01
Alter Hase

Thanks Keith

I can see I have kept you busy...
Looks like a strong case then that he actually served in both Squadrons.

Appreciate your efforts!
Stig