Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd August 2010, 23:01

biltongbru is on a distinguished road
Stuka photograph mystery solved

This is maybe an insignificant find but I think it is quite interesting.

Here is the well known and famous published stuka photograph:

It was presented in the Bison published book "Stuka Ju-87" by Lt-Col A.J.Barker, 1980, captioned: "...2nd Staffel of St.G 3. are being flown solo over Trapani, Sicily in1941". Subsequently a colour profile of this particular aircraft was published in an Osprey Aviation booklet with the caption:" No uncertainty here......a 2.Staffel machine depicted during I. Gruppe's brief stay on Sicily in the spring of 1941..." by John Weal.

The significance of this photograph is that my friend and veteran stuka pilot, Heinz Migeod ( http://www.heinzmigeod.com/ ), was a member of 2./St.G 3., same as the aircraft in this picture. He said they were never in Trapani during 1941. It is also confirmed with his flugbuch entries of 1941.

Okay, how to find out where this picture was taken; I tried to match the coastline profile with Google earth landscape imaging. Soon I discovered that this picture was shot over Rhodes as the Google earth image matched 100% with the stuka picture.

Now everything make sense; Heinz's 2./St.G 3 was stationed in Rhodes after the Greece and Crete campaigns for quite some time. I am also of the opinion that the yellow nose and -tail paint of operation Marita was replaced with normal camo paint some time after the Greece/Crete campaign.

Last edited by biltongbru; 24th August 2010 at 05:20.
Old 24th August 2010, 01:22

thenelm is on a distinguished road
Re: Stuka photograph mystery solved

Nice work!!
Old 24th August 2010, 20:39

Doolittle81 is on a distinguished road

Great Detective work!
Old 25th August 2010, 02:31

Sergio Luis dos Santos

That´s the pleasure of the research. The question size do not matters. What counts is to fix another piece in the historical puzzle. That´s great.
Old 25th August 2010, 15:34

Modeldad will become famous soon enough