Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th March 2010, 07:10

Hellfromheaven is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe units operating over North Herts/south cambs night of 18/19th February 1944

I am new to this forum so firstly i will say hello to everyone

About 15 years ago i discovered the remains of a partially exploded German SC 50 (probably a grade II) bomb in a ditch on the edge of the dispersal area of the 600th squadron, 398th BG at Nuthampstead Airfield, formally USAAF station 131 in North Hertfordshire. Last year i discovered that German bombs only fell on Nuthampstead once throughout the whole of WW2. This was on the 19th of Feb 1944.

The Official American report states that there were 8 to 10 enemy aircraft over station 131 between the hours of 01.15 and 01.30 on the morning of the 19th of february 1944 at a height of between 5000 and 9000 feet. The report states that there were three white flares, two brand c incendiary bombs, 8 sc50 gp bombs, 1 sc250 gp bomb and several hundred 1.5kg incendiaries dropped on this raid. The aircraft carrying the explosive devices were heading from north to south and the aircraft carrying the incendiaries were traveling southwest to northwest.

I would be most interested to find out which Luftwaffe unit actually dropped this bomb. I don't even know where to start tracing luftwaffe activity so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bomb has now been preserved and will hopefully be taking up residence in the newly founded Nuthampstead Airfield Museum, of which i am a trustee.

As a point of interest, i see there are a few posts on here about a Dornier 217 e-4 that was shot down over Orwell, Cambs on the 8th September 1942. If anyone can shed any more light on this crash it would be interesting to add to my documentation, i have already noted everything i have found on here but it's always worth asking

I hope somebody can help me with my quests! Dom