Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th May 2011, 17:08
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road
Large "Wasp" emblem of II./SKG210, summer - autumn 1941

Gentlmen:

I am looking for any avidence of large wasp emblem of II./SKG210 (or even III./ZG76) duning summer - autumn 1941.

I have photo proofs of using that emblem at least from early days of december 1941 onwards.

But when it appeared? In december, or earlier?

I saw two very interesting photos, showing Bf110D 2N+MP with large wasp emblem - but what unit? 2N+ tells us about III./ZG76 during summer40 - spring 41, "P" letter was used by it's 9 Staffel, prior to be changed to "T" in sping 1941. As far as I know, III./ZG76 used "three small wasps over clouds" at that time, an emblem designed by Gr. TO Oblt. R.Marchfelder, and large wasp on that 2N+MP looks weird.

Photos of Stab II./SKG210 Bf110's, during early stages of "barbarossa", shows "clear" noses of Zerstorers of unit, without any emblems.

So, gents - are there any proof that II./SKG210 used large wasp emblem before december 1941?
Old 30th May 2011, 20:44

odybvig
Re: Large "Wasp" emblem of II./SKG210, summer - autumn 1941

Hello

There are several photos of Bf 110 from III./ZG 76 with large wasp emblem in Norway during the stay in early 1941 (january - april)

Best
Olve
Old 31st May 2011, 07:22
Alter Hase

Thanks Olve!

So, large wasp appeared in III./ZG76 in early 1941. But was it in use with II./SKG210?
Old 31st May 2011, 13:34
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Dear Evgeny.

I am not sure that the explanation is very complicated, but would like to know what theories you have...

I have seen photos of both the large and the three smaller wasps on aircraft supposedly (and in some cases there is no question like the one Olve just posted) taken in Norway.

I would suppose that the unit was re-equipped as it moved to ready itself for Barbarossa, and that adorning the aircraft with these rather intricate designs were not a priority (or even allowed) as they prepared for this step in May-June 1941.

Quoting from the Einsatzbereitschaftsmeldungen:

Vortrag 26.4.1941:

Aus der III./Z.G.76 wird die II./K.G.210 gebildet. 1 Staffel der III./Z.G.76 mit 15 Flugzeugen verbleibt bei Lfl. 5. Als Ersatz für die III./Z.G.76 tritt die K.Fl.Gr. 606 nach beendeter Umrüstung (voraussichtlich 15.5.41) zur Lfl. 5. Dem Fl.F. At. wird anstelle der K.Fl.Gr. 606 die II./K.G. 2 nach Umrüstung auf Do 217 zugeteilt. Die III./K.G. 210 wird im Juli aus der IV./K.G.201 (Erg.Gr.) mit Me 210 aufgestellt

So we see that the new II./S.K.G.210 is now formed in Stavanger with all except 15 aircraft of the existing stock of the III./Z.G.76. Nothing is said regarding which parts of the aircraft stock were left with what was going to become the nucleus for the Zerstörerstaffel in the I./JG 77, so we can assume that the aircrew assigend to stay with their ´old´unit kept their personal aircraft, at the time the unit had an overstock of 14 aircraft, but only 3 crews more than the Sollstand, so at the time there were plenty of 110´s available.

The former split did not occur with regards to reporting until the week between report dates 24th May 1941 and 31st May 1941. At that time there are 15 aicraft assigned to the I./JG 77, and the II./S.K.G.210 report an aircraft and crew strength of (before the slash total, after the slash ready):
Aircraft 3/3 (Stab) and 35/21 (Staffeln)
Crews 3/3 (Stab) and 42/32 (Staffeln)

The readiness state of II./S.K.G.210 with regards to aircraft drop in the following reports, only 13!! aircraft for the entire Gruppe being reported as ready on June 14th 1941. On June 21st this has changed to 37, so either the black men of this unit did one hell of a job that week, or they got new aircraft.

And that is one of my theories for the lack of special emblems - the unit had one hell of an overhaulin´ that week, and they just did not have time for the emblems as they prepared for Barbarossa or were told to get rid of them for tactical reasons.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 31st May 2011, 16:09
Alter Hase

Ahhha! Thanks, Andreas! Now things are almost clear