Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th May 2013, 20:33
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
Which airfield?

Hi there Gang,

I just chanced on an unknown to me pic of a German airfield, taken sometimes in the summer of '45. Although I'm sure I saw already some other pics from this particular airfield and its heap of Ju 88 G-1's and Bf 110 G-4's, it is to my knowledge not yet identified:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/espress...57633240192623

The only identifiable machine is Bf 110 G-4 "G9+BT", from 9./NJG 1. The last airfields from which III./NJG 1 operated were Husum, Störmede and Krefeld. Any base for ID'eing this particular airfield?

Thanks in advance
Marc
Old 5th May 2013, 00:12

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough
Re: Which airfield?

Hi Marc,

I believe this was taken at Fritzlar.

Steve Sheflin
Old 5th May 2013, 00:40

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

Yep, that's Fritzlar. Seemingly every single American soldier took snapshots at this base
Old 5th May 2013, 00:52

Nordpol54 is on a distinguished road

Marc,

I concur with Steve's opinion that this picture was taken at Fritzlar. That particular Bf 110, coded G9+BT, clearly shows Werk-Nr. 180535 on yet another photograph from a different angle that is published in the book "Flieger über Fulda, Schwalm und Eder" (Konrad Rudolph) on page 388.

Best Regards
Norbert
Old 5th May 2013, 12:28
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Steve, Christian and Norbert,

Many many thanks for identifying this location! It also solve one of my pendant Bf 109 G-10 "location unknown";-)).

Cheers and thanks
Marc
Old 20th May 2017, 04:07

RodM is on a distinguished road

Out of interest, is the location positively identified as the main Fritzlar airfield?

The reason I ask is because on 24 March 1945, III./NJG1 had 27 Bf110s and one Ju88 at Fritzlar-Nord, which was a few kilometres NNE of the main airfield.

The Ju88G-1 seen immediately behind G9+BT is W.Nr. 714401, which was previously 3C+FN of II./NJG4. This G-1 was collected from Gelsenkirchen by II./NJG4 in late January 1945, but struck off strength on 26 February 1945, when transferred to the "Air Ministry Works Inspectorate".

Cheers

Rod
Old 20th May 2017, 11:35

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Rod,

I do agree with your assumption, also because the main Fritzlar airfield was in a flat area, whereas the photo shows a small village on a hill near the place where these wrecks have been photographed. Therefore, Fritzlar-Nord (must look for the exact spot) with nearby hills seems more likely.

Best regards, Marcel
Old 20th May 2017, 13:16

Hi Marcel,

thanks for the reply.

I do know for sure that the 9th Armored Division captured the main Fritzlar airfield on the afternoon of 30 March 1945, but the Air Technical Intelligence report for Fritzlar doesn't mention the presence of any captured Ju88s, as seen in photos. Although III./NJG1 had aircraft at Fritzlar-Nord, many were at the main airfield on 30 March.

As you point out there are many Fritzlar photos showing the very flat airfield area, but the photo in this thread shows hilly terrain. Thus, I was wondering if some photos actual show Fritzlar-Nord.

Cheers

Rod

Last edited by RodM; 19th April 2020 at 13:46.
Old 20th May 2017, 16:05
Alter Hase

Kutscha

This is stated as Fritzlar, with hills in the background. P-47s from 404 FG.

Old 21st May 2017, 12:29

Thanks Kutscha,

I've had a look again at the photo from the first post of the thread, and compared it with what appears to be an even earlier photo. In both photos, the Grauen Turm in Fritzlar is visible (i.e. the tower-like object in the photo from the first post), and in the second photo the Dom St. Peter in Fritzlar is also visible.

From what I can gather:

1. the camera is facing a north to north-north-west direction, and it is at the main Fritzlar airfield

2. other versions of the scene shown in the photo from the first post indicate that the camera is positioned right beside a paved road

3. there are no airfield structures visible between the aircraft and Fritzlar town in the background.

I now think the photos with Bf110 G9+BT show aircraft dispersed either alongside the western/north-western perimeter of the airfield or possibly outside of that perimeter, possibly between the airfield and the Eder river.

Cheers

Rod