Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th May 2009, 21:41

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road
Ferry pilots in Luftwaffe ... (?)

How were aircraft delivered from factories to operational units of the Luftwaffe? Was the set-up similar to that in Britain ... ATA / Ferry Command and so on? Did it include women pilots?

What is the German term for 'ferry pilot'?

Comments greatly appreciated ...

M
Old 15th May 2009, 22:06
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ferry pilots in Luftwaffe ... (?)

There were full-time ferry pilots but sometimes a unit sent pilots to a factory or depot to collect new aircraft. Sometimes a pilot posted to a unit would bring a new aircraft with him.

I don't know about the early part of the war but later on the ferry units were the Flugzeugüberführungsgeschwader.

I think I've seen the term Überführungspilot for ferry pilot, but that's just from memory

There was a least one woman involved, Beate Uhse (who started a chain of sex shops in Germany after the war). Ages ago a German magazine, either Flugzeug or Jet&Prop, did an article about her flying career. Her husband was a Luftwaffe pilot, as I recall.
Old 15th May 2009, 22:54

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply.

I've just read the Beate Uhse article on Wiki/de ... an amazing story! Her background is like that of those nice young 'gals' of ATA.

There are various references to the term Überführungspilot via Google.

M
Old 16th May 2009, 00:44
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Also several Google hits for the term: Überführungsflugzeugführer . I have seen this compound noun used repeatedly in the Luftwaffenpersonalamt correspondence and records.

Before the Überführungsgeschwader was formed, it was called an Überführungsgruppe. Prior to that, there were Flugzeug-Überführungskommandos and Flugzeug-Überführungsstellen. The Heimat Luftzeuggruppen even delivered aircraft. So there was a systematic process in place for moving the aircraft forward from Germany to the front units right from the beginning of the war.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:13

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Also ex-pow russian pilots served als Überführungspiloten mostly for Bf 109.