Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th November 2006, 00:02

Gudbrandur is on a distinguished road
The Escape Story.

Hallo, members
I turn to you for help in finding the unit of a mystical aircraft that was down in Iceland on marz the 19th.1941 and the crew made a run for it and out of the country. The story was told by the german captain to an Icelandic national in desember 22nd, 1978 at Uniklinik, Freiburg, that did not belive it but wrote down some of it but not the name of the pilot, the unit or whether H111 or Ju 88, that he was flying. But he was later defending the Tirpitz until the last in Norway. This unit is mentioned in the Tirpitz war daiary as one Blum&Woss and one Ju 88. Do you know this unit. I have contacted the Wekusta and the F Gruppen, 120. 121.122.123. 124. based in Norway but the aircraft in Iceland was not from them. So, I belive now that the aircraft that was blown up in Iceland in marz. 1941, by the germans, was one of Krigsmarine aviation aircraft, not the Luftwaffe. Have you information on the unit: Erg. Fernaufkl.Gr. Putniz. and if that unit lost a plane. (GH+)(GJ+)(GI+). Do you have the loss records for : 5.(See)Erg.Fernaufkl.Gruppe. Rahmel, (F2+) and the
Ku.Fl.Gr 506.(S4+) and the Ku.Fl.Gr 706.(GI+). It was not any Ju 88 that could fly to Iceland in mars. 1941. The return flight was almost 9 hours out of Sola, Norway. Do you have the loss records for above Krigsmarine Ju 88 aircraft. We know alot about the Luftwaffe but very little about the Krigsmarine aviation. This is a true story and confirmd by a witnis.

Thank you all.

Gudbrandur.
Old 10th November 2006, 19:19
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: The Escape Story.

Hi Gudbrandur;

Nothing actually supports this story...
No wreck, no personnel missing, no aircraft reported missing, Erg.FAGr was operating in the Baltic etc.

I know this STORY, also your article in VERBAND, but no facts support it ever happening ... !

cheers
ed
Old 10th November 2006, 22:36

Thank you, Ed
That´s the strange part but it´s confirmed that the Germans got a lift with the Icelandic ship M/S Edda on it´s voayages to Sevilla,Spain, the ship leaving Iceland on the 7th of apríl, 1941. Another part of the story is that the Krigsmarine sent U-98 to follow the ship enrout. A individual saw pieces of the aircraft and the german marking on it in the autum of 1941 near the side of forced landing. A US airphotograph from 1942 confirms this. A individual confirms that the Germans where onboard the M/S Edda, two on the 22nd of mars, the other two came from the Vestmann Islands with the ship S/S Spica into Reykjavik, harbour where the four met again . If I ever have seen a cover up in one German operation, this is it. This is/was one clever clandistine operation by the Krigsmarine. The Krigsmarine aviation where not to wander so far out to see according to Luftwaffe orders of operation. But how can they have one aircraft written of the record to conceale it for ever. It so apears that the German Krigsmarine pulled all it´s string in Iceland, the Enteppen and the Abwhere, to get the crewmembers out of the hands of the english occupy forces of Iceland. Erg.Fernaufk.Gr. Putnitz is reported in Norway in 1944., with 3 Ju 88D-1 and one Ju 88 D-2, the D-2 had endurance of 515o km and that will do the trick to Iceland and return. The failiure of this mission of the Krigsmarine was the one thing they did not want the Luftwaffe OBdl to know about after all that was going on between the two. Members, I need all helping hands with this one, starting with the Ju 88 working with the Tirpitz, at that time yes, the Krigsmarine and the Luftwaffe where united but before the two where not in the same war. I have more on that later. Members, let´s have som fun and unwind this mistery.

Gudbrandur
Old 11th November 2006, 04:22
Alter Hase

Well; I have been on collecting data on those two Ju 88 D-5 of 1.(F)/120 in Western Iceland for over 30 years now, they are exactly those and there is absolutely no chance they are connected to this STORY. What you are after is something entierely different - but again blowing up an aircraft leaves much wreckage; none yet unindentified or unexplained has been found; none matching the Ju 88 B you mention in the VERBAND article, all the Ju 88 B are accounted for in this period, no German aircraft came down on Icelandic ground before 22.05.1941. Period. I have surveyed all the Lw losses for this period and it is not there. Kriegsmarine or otherwise.

Eggert Norðdahl
Old 12th November 2006, 00:01

Halló, Eggert
Truth is sometimes so unbelivable that it takes years to swallow. The German escape story is one. I did not belive it to, neither the man that heard the story in the first place told by the unknown German pilot in Desember 22nd. 1978 at Uniklinik, Freiburg. If it was not for the medical doctor and his version I would have throne this away along ago but the German pilot haunted me in looking into all sides of this mystery. The Icelandic doctor however did write some of the points down for the sake of courtesy aginst this old German veteran trying to tell of his adventures in Iceland in 1941. The doctor took his memo paper and placed it in a book where the paper was found in the spring of 1994. Again the old German haunted the memories of the medical doctor and had him write the first version of the story in an Icelandic newspaper in june. 1994, calling it, "Revelation of a war secret". At that time the old German stopped haunting the medical doctor but started haunting me. The medical doctor referd to the story, as a man´s last wish.

The VERBAND magazine articel was not responded to in the USA but the big surprise came afther Hugo Löhr of 1(F)120 and his old Luftwaffe war kameraden of all the units, Wekusta, (F) 121. 122.123.124. Gruppen and the KG 26 and KG 40 sent out a circular asking around of this strange story but nothing, no one knew nothing. Now the old German veteran magazine, " KAMERADEN" is about to ask around in it´s November issue into Krigsmarine aviation and its units and the escape story, so this is not over. It is possible that one of the crew members could be around somewhere.?
Eggert, even after 30 years of you collecting data, you can still expect to get surprises and truth will swallow you like the rest of us. You will not change the fact that 4 Germans where running around in Iceland in the name of the Krigsmarine in 1941. More later.

Gudbrandur
Old 12th November 2006, 11:25
Alter Hase

Many such stories were circulating ´mouth from mouth´ when I was growing up ... all wrecks were of German Spyplanes etc. etc. ... Do I really have to answer to such; I merely pointed out there has yet to surface one tiny bit of this airplane.
Old 12th November 2006, 15:06

Sorry to disapoint you as there was a wrekage and all usable parts of the wrek where collectd by a scrap metal Garage in Hafnafjörður, Iceland, manly the engines and wings and part of the tail in ´42, ´43,´44. All remaining items of aircraft wrek around Reykjavík was cleand up by the Icelandic Airrescue unit(Flugbjörgunarsveitinn) contracted by the Icelanidc CAA, Director General. This you should know, Eggert. As not to confuse later SAR missions in the area.

Gudbrandur.
Old 12th November 2006, 16:35
Alter Hase

Hello; Stop bullshitting in this forum Gudbrandur; Your statement ´This you should know´ is quite out of place here - If there has been real ´cleanup´ in recent years, then you are referring quite in error, relating to WW2 wrecks, I inspected most of them long time prior to this ´cleanup´ (and BTW only Icelandic aircraft and some from the SA-16 Albatross in Eyjafjallajökull Glacer in 1992, which I took part in on behalf of the Icelandic Aviation Historical Society) ; and stating the German aircraft ´was cleaned out´ by an Garage in Hafnarfjordur in 1942 etc. saying that there is nothing left (for me to find presumably). Wrong again as there is plenty left, if you know where to look and what to look for - but again those german aircraft that came down here are all well known and do not connect to your story. In short; don´t try to convince me or others at this forum. There have been people trying to convince me before of such stories - but belive me - you will probably not be the last.