Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th May 2007, 15:19
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Any information on 2641st Special Group - USAAF

Hello to all!
I am particularly interested to know more about this 2641st Special Group who it seems flew SOE/OSS missions around Yugoslavia, flying B-24 Liberators for the USAAF.
I am trying to verify some NJG 6 and NJG 101 claims on B-24 by late 1944 and early 1945 and came around this Special Group.
Does anyone know more about it? From where it operated? Who were the O.C.s? How many missions were flown, how many lossed did they suffer? If there is any link on the internet or any book that I could find more information about them?

Glad in advance for any news!

Adriano
Old 7th May 2007, 17:17
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Any information on 2641st Special Group - USAAF

For a B-24 of the 2641st shot down over Italy on 19 April 1945:

Nick Beale, Ferdinando D’Amico and Gabriele Valentini, Air War Italy 1944–45, the Axis Air Forces from the Liberation of Rome to the Surrender (Airlife Publishing Ltd., Shrewsbury, 1996) ISBN 1 85310 252 0

Alternatively: D'Amico & Valentini's two-part article Les derniers combats de l'ANR in the French Air Action magazine Nos. 1 & 2 (May & July 1988 ).

The Group's base at this time was Rosignano.
Old 7th May 2007, 19:38

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

http://users.rcn.com/hugh.turner/Leslie/Leslie.html

http://users.rcn.com/hugh.turner/2641st/2641st.htm
Old 8th May 2007, 01:11
Alter Hase

Nick, thank you for the information about your books. I knew "Air War Italy" by name and did not know that it was so complete. I thought the main focus was other kind of operations. I surely will have a look at it in a near futur ( after ordering one ! ).
Tony - Do have no words to say thank you! Very useful sites and interesting news. I did know the Carpetbaggers, but did not know those other Special Groups in the Mediterranean Front. Really wonderful! I will certainly now have access to the information I am seeking for ( one claim by Hptm Hans Krause on 22 November 1944 and a claim by Maj Paul Zorner on the night of 5/6 March 1945 ).
Thank you again guys, you were very kind!
Yours
Adriano
Old 8th May 2007, 17:01

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Adriano,

My sister's father-in-law flew with this group out of Brindisi and I was able to obtain all of his mission reports at the NARA. It took a number of hours and although only 2 of his 24 missions were eventful, it is interesting reading. There is quite a wealth of info there. If you find the mission in particular, i.e., the date, aircraft, especially pilot name, the next time I am over there I can gather more info.

Tony
Old 8th May 2007, 21:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
I knew "Air War Italy" by name and did not know that it was so complete. I thought the main focus was other kind of operations.
If there was a combat we tried to cover it (especially because there weren't that many to choose from in Italy in 1945!).
Old 9th May 2007, 23:34

Erich

Adriano have talked with Paul Zorner several times about the victory in March 45. Well he denies it

the 2641st in such that I was in contact with at least 3 different family members (5 years ago) stated that in spring of 45 their relatives B-24's were shot down by Ju 88's with upward firing cannons
Old 10th May 2007, 15:38
Alter Hase

Erich! It seems we do have the same interest areas! Well, I did not understand clearly what you wrote: Zorner denies the claim OR he says that it certainly was not from 2641st Special Group?
Because he is listed on several books ( I mean that particular claim ). Could it have been a RAF machine? Have you checked that too?
I see from your answers that you have been doing QUIET an extensive research on the area. Did you have something published on that subject? I know that several writers uses other nicknames on the forums...It would be nice to read what you managed so far in the form of a book.
We certainly will have a good deal of more talks, because I am also researching some Nachtjagd pilots like Briegleb, Zorner, Hoffmann, Drewes, Jabs, Greiner, Krause and have been in contact with them in the past 10 years or so.
Please, accept my most sincere thanks for answering and my most sincere admiration ( and good luck ) on your research!
Friendly as ever
Adriano