Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th August 2005, 23:11

Andy Fletcher
Gc I/2

Could anyone tell me if GC I/2 was operational in North Africa between Nov42 (Torch landings) and Jan44 (formation of 329 (French) Sqn (GC I/2)).

No mention is made of GC I/2 between these dates on the http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frenchaces/index.html site, but the command positions for this unit are filled by the same individuals up until Nov42 and then from Jan44 onwards.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 9th August 2005, 12:01
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Gc I/2

GC I/2 was definetly not operationnal and wasn't engaged during the Tunisia campain or for Coastal Command patrols off Tunisia and Algeria, that were the main tasks of French airmen in 1943. It didn't take part in Corisa campain either.

So it was either a training unit during the period or it was disbanded as a flying unit but remained as an administrative body (so the commanders remained the same) before the transfer to UK, that was delayed for one reason or another.

After Torch, several French air units were disbanded due to lack of aircraft.

I will check my books at home tonight.
Old 9th August 2005, 14:56

Andy Fletcher

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the info and for looking up the answer in your books.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 9th August 2005, 21:13
Alter Hase

GC I/2 was in France on 8 November 1942 and flew to North Africa as "reinforcement". It had on 10 Nov 1942 14 D520 at Setif and 8 at Bizerte (were Axis troops were allready IIRC, I wonder what happened to these ones).
It arrived at Meknès (Morocco) four days later and was planned to go to Great Britain to receive better aircrafts and then be engaged from there. It waited more than a full year.
On 5 December 1943 a CIC (Centre d'Instruction de Chasse = Fighter Training Center) was created in Meknès and received extra pilots and last remaining D520s of GC I/2 . This unit was now a planeless unit and boarded on the 30 December a ship for UK.

Source: AéroJournal n° 23 (the n° 5 has the short history of GC I/2 inside but I am unable of finding it in my mess. And I doubt there will be more about this period).

So the unit was not disbanded and that explains why the commanders remained the same. But it was definetly not operationnal, even if my sources don't say it it was used as a training unit or just waiting orders in a "comatose" status, as the Armée de l'Air was often lacking spares (especially for French-made aircraft) and gas.
Old 9th August 2005, 22:16

Andy Fletcher

Many thanks Laurent, I suppose it would be logical to assume that the unit must of continued to exist because of the continuity of command, even if it wasn't operational.

Thanks again

Andy Fletcher
Old 10th August 2005, 16:36

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy,

To complete what it is written above, GC ½ under command of Commandant Fleurquin took off on 9 november to Ajaccio, then 10 november to Bizerte/Sidi Ahmed. On 14 November they were at Meknes after a stop at Sétif/Oudjda and Fez.

It is on 26 december 1943 that 23 pilots and some crews who have been trained on Spit V left Alger on the “Otranto”, an english ship of the Orient Line. They arrived at Greenock on 4 january 1944.

The commanders of ½ were in december : Cdt Fleurquin, 2nd command Cne Ozanne, 1st Flight Ltt Marchelidon and 2nd flight Cne Lacombe

When they will “renamed” n° 329 squadron, Cdt Fleurquin and Cne Provansal, 1st Flight Ltt Marchelidon and 2nd flight Cne Ozanne.

HTH

Bertrand H
Old 10th August 2005, 17:07
Alter Hase

Hi Bertrand, two more questions:

1) do you more about the D520 of GC I/2 that were in Bizerte on 10 November ? Did they continue to Algeria or were they stopped and seized by the Axis forces ? It seems to me that French aircraft were still able to move out of Tunis/Bizerte at this date but I am not sure.

2) From your post, I assume GC I/2 was trained with Spitfire during their long stay in Morocco. Do you more about this training ?
Old 10th August 2005, 18:10

Andy Fletcher

Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for the additional information, you and Laurent have been a great help.

Cheers

Andy Fletcher
Old 10th August 2005, 21:19

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Laurent,

1) Any D.520 of GC I/2 were seized by the Axis Air Force. Two a/c were broken due to the wind on 10 november and Ltt Gilbert take another D520 abandoned by GC II/7 to take off for Sétif. Note that this pilot will be killed in an accident the day after when they leave Sétif for Oudjda.

2) Not really sure that pilot have been trained on Spit before to leave Marocco. I will check in my files (logbooks and more). The crew have been trained in november 1943

Amicalement

Bertrand
Old 10th August 2005, 22:03
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello, Bertrand H was faster, but here is my effort

my French is a pretty awful nowadays but in Historique du Groupe de Chasse I/2 ”Les Cigognes” (1914 – 1945). Vincennes 1981 p. 205

…Les Dewoitine 520, tous lourdement charges, décollent alors, dans un certain désordre, à destination d’Oudjda…

L’échelon Volant poursuit son voyage et atterrit…à Oudjda, à l’exception d’une patrouille des trios Dewoitine…qui, en panne d’essence, doit se poser en campagne près de Sidi-bel-Abbès; elle rejoindra peu de temps après.

A Oudjda, les pilotes apprennent qu’une suspension d’armes a été conclue le 10 entre les Commandements francais et américain.

p. 206 L’échelon Volant décolle dans la matinee du 13 et se pose à Fez, le terrain de Meknès ayant été signalé comme impracticable..

On aircraft, it seems that the French considered many option, in March/April 1943 some mechanics were sent to familiarize with P-39 and in later part of May 43 “Le potential avion du groupe s’accroît sensiblement, au cours de ce mois, par l’arrivée de Dewoitine 520 du groupe de chasse III/6 qui est transformé sur P-39…”

Hopefully there is some sense in this
Juha