Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th September 2010, 00:57

SpitfireZPC is on a distinguished road
Flight Lieutenant Eric Gordon Parkin

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to find all the information I can on Gordon Parkin of No. 501 Squadron, but there seems to be very little around. I can't even find any combat reports! If anyone has any ideas on how I can find out more about him please let me know.

Best,

Chris
Old 18th September 2010, 00:20
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Flight Lieutenant Eric Gordon Parkin

I know it will be a long job but try entering in the surname in to Flight Magazine Archive. You can find all manner of details especially awards given - so this might throw up some extra info. BTW - exclude rank and first names to avoid getting every F/Lt or every Eric in your reply!!

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...=1945&x=37&y=9

Also you have not given any other details which you may have, like date / place of birth, home town or Sqn number if you know it or if he survived or died in the war. Trivia sometimes helps
Old 18th September 2010, 09:54

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

This site has a few details re his service and a pic.

http://www.aviationcollectables.co.u...raphs/spbb.php

Cheers,

Bruce
Old 18th September 2010, 12:09

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 11th October 2010, 17:49

nibbler is on a distinguished road

Hello Chris. Gordon was my CFI in 1981, a wonderful man and first-class CFI too. We became good friends. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. I know for sure that he hit the fence at Gravesend one night during the Battle of Britain, I cannot recall but I believe he said it was 28/29th July or the same dates in August. He told me that on final approach to the field he'd fallen asleep through exhaustion. This followed a late evening combat over Dover. He struck the fence and went over on his back. I believe his call sign was Pinetree 21 at the time but cannot be certain, nor can I remember which aeroplane he was flying at the time. It certainly put him out of action for some months and I understand that he spent the rest of the war instructing. He worked at the British Airways Flying Club for many years and was very firm friends with another of my instructors there, the delightful Joan Hughes, she of ATA fame. They made quite a team. Hope this provides you with a little more info.
Old 15th October 2010, 22:12

berksboy26 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,
Further to the reply from Nibbler i to had the pleasure of flying with Gordon Parkin (and Joan Hughes of ATA fame) when he was a flying instructor with the Airways Flying Club (as it was then) during 1984.
When my regular instuctor was unavailable - he was a longhaul skipper with BA and not always in the UK - i opted for lessons with Gordon.I was too busy sweating under "the hood" to discuss his service career to any great extent but understood that he was in Afghanistan (the first time round) flying Hinds and/or Harts and then Hurricanes during the WW2.
He cleared me to go solo and accompanied me on my dual cross country.
At the time I understood that he had just been diagnosed with a heart defect and would shortly be giving up instructing.
Really sorry to find out that he had passed away a couple of years ago -a real gentleman and a great loss to flying.

regards,

Alan
Old 15th October 2010, 22:28

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like you had some great experiences with Gordon!