Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th December 2005, 01:48

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Bf109G-10 at Kjevik, Norway, May 1945. What unit?

Is it safe to assume that the two G-10's apparently having flown to Kjevik on May 5 1945 were from NJG 11?
According to Bjørn Hafstens compiled list the werkenummers were
150794 and 150701

Any thoughts, any indications, I appreciate it all.

Regards,

Kyrre
Harstad, Norway.
Old 16th December 2005, 10:24
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf109G-10 at Kjevik, Norway, May 1945. What unit?

Hi.

At this stage I would not be wiling to assume anything. The remains of the Luftwaffe was at a complete disarray, and the original 'Halter' of the aircraft that landed in Norway during the early days of May could in my opinion have no connection to the pilot flying it.

I have no previous record of any of these aircraft as of now, but I know that the 'sister' aircraft of one of them, 150794 (150793 and 150795) were in service with III./J.G.300 and IV./J.G.301 respectively. This does not of course go against Your assumption that 150794 was with NJG 11... especially as the above mentioned units were at the time disbanded or located in an area to remote to be ordered to fly to Norway.

As far as I can see, the assumption that these G-10's were from NJG 11 would indicate that they were at the time attached to the III. Gruppe (and if we should believe the references 7. Staffel as this was the only Staffel left at the time...), more or less the only part of NJG 11 still operating the Bf 109G, a unit that would be at Leck, not far from the Danish border.

But I would not be willing to say ANYTHING about how they looked, as these aircraft would be an amalgation of aircraft from parts of NJG 11 (and other units possibly).

Good luck in Your search, Kyrre. I have leads to where You can find information on who the pilots were, but You have to contact me off-board for this.

Regards,
Andreas

Old 16th December 2005, 10:47

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning and many thanks for your reply Andreas, and I appreciate you taking the time to do the werkenummer-check.

Having after my post visited the http://www.kjevik.dk/ site I came across http://kjevik.dk/luftwaffe1945.htm written by Nils Mosberg, and it is a summary of what is written on Kjevik during 1945. In his article he tells about the July 2005 Aeroplane Monthly issue where there's an article written by Urbanke on these last movements of the Luftwaffe. I had completely forgotten about this magazine, although I still have it!
Anyway, Staffelkapitan Krause is said to have flown to Kjevik, and he flew a G-plane with a blue Doppelwinkel. Doesn't say which type of -G, but there's definitely something to work on there!

I doubt we'll ever find the markings of these planes but as a modeler one sometimes has to jump to conclusions and do the assumptions necessary to finish a project. Unfortunately I shall have to leave the proper research with verified information to serious historians like yourself and just pray that there'll be books emerging eventually! Yes? Please?

Regards,
Kyrre
Old 19th December 2005, 13:19
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Ohh, yeahhh. The books are coming... :-))

Andreas