Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd January 2020, 15:09
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
a posting reminder

I will remind everyone that English is the language of this forum unless quoting and original document.
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:32
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Re: a posting reminder

And if the original document is in Chinese ? ... Or in French ?
Old 4th January 2020, 00:26
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
And if the original document is in Chinese ? ... Or in French ?
I would suggest using google translate, with suitable amendments, of course...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 4th January 2020, 14:16

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Google?

(I added this later) PS: I never intended to criticise John Beaman (I'm much too scared of "Super-Moderators") but I certainly intend(ed) to criticise Google's ridiculous, irresponsible "translations" even of isolated, well-known words like "fighter" and many others. Some people use paper dictionaries (or possibly Google - I don't really know what they use to do) but are unable to see the difference between several correct translations of a foreign word. This is why a French author wrote in English something about aircraft with "two drifts", meaning two fins (double-finned AC) because both drift and (aircraft) fin are the same word in French: dérive. Don't jump at the first word(s) in a dictionary, use your brain too. Anoter example: the same guy wanted to mention something about a photograph published in a book and mentioned that you can find this particular photograph "in the third notebook". This, too, is an all too literal translation of the French word "cahier", which means notebook (especially at school) but also, in a book, a set of pages or a batch or set of pictures different from the text pages (full-page plates??? Inset photo pages? I confess I'm not sure.). The pictures are printed on glossy paper. In such cases it's really difficult to understand what the "English" text (notebooks) means. Beware, don't choose the first word in your dictionary at once, and use some good dictionaries only. They do exist. (No I did not publish any - too busy, no time.)

Google? O my God! For the French word "chasseur" (which can mean mainly game hunter) Google is very generous for they give you no less than 17 translations so you must be very satisfied. Experience shows that many people are totally confused in such cases and pick the first word offered as "translation". In most cases it's horribly wrong.

A short time ago the Google-"translation" for fighter was combattant (fighting man or (fighting) soldier), which is correct too but there was no trace of "chasseur" nor "avion de chasse" (fighter aircraft). This explains why ALL TV networks sending historical programmes on WW I or WW II translated into French now systematically use "combattant(s)" for "fighter(s)" (aircraft). This makes it impossible to understand what they're talking about. TV "translators" know even less.

Here the 1st one is correct for "chasseur" is mainly a game hunter (deer, rabbit, whatever). The rest… The rest includes some words which are OK but also "fighter bomber" (no hyphen) and "dive bomber" (no hyphen either). I wonder how a dive-bomber can be a fighter. The list includes "chasseur", which is correct, but without any indication for use. Clearly the "translations" are given by people who have no idea what they're doing. The more words the better. One of the main English meanings is not mentioned: the boxing man or boxer (?), not the bull-fighter either. The last "translation" is a jewel. Here you are: (You'll find more information at the bottom of this post.)

Traductions de chasseur (Translations of chasseur) :

hunter
chasseur, chercheur, veneur, chien de chasse, captateur

huntsman
chasseur

bellhop
groom, chasseur

bellboy
groom, chasseur, serviteur

chasseur
chasseur

shooter
tireur, chasseur, revolver, flingue

shot
coup, photo, balle, cliché, plomb, chasseur

fowler
chasseur

pageboy
chasseur, carré, groom

page
page, groom, jeune huissier, chasseur

messenger
messager, coursier, émissaire, chasseur, télégraphiste

fighter bomber
bombardier, chasseur

evictor
chasseur

expeller
chasseur

dive bomber
bombardier, chasseur

pigsticker
chasseur

adjectif
gunner's
chasseur

If you want to translate the French "chasseur" (hunter or fighter (aircraft) you get the above list but not "fighter" (aircraft).

The Google English "translation" for the French "avion de chasse" (fighter aircraft) is… "fighter jet". Well, that's a big improvement indeed. Fighter jets in WW I... Now I understand Richthofen's score at last.
About half the translated TV programmes on air combat tell us that WW II aviation fuel was kerosene. I don't know whether Google is involved in this nonsense.

There are some good aviation dictionaries (printed on paper) but less numerous if German is needed (it's mainly English and one or several other languages). I guess you can find them on the Internet. Here is a small starting help for a search on the Internet: The German word for dictionary is Wörterbuch (word book). Aviation is Luftfahrt, aircraft is Flugzeug.

Last edited by rof120; 4th January 2020 at 19:06.
Old 4th January 2020, 14:34
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Some people only read half a post.
"...with suitable amendments, of course..."

Beyond the comprehension of smart-arses...

Can you believe post #4???

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!