Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th October 2005, 20:20

Jon
Battle of Britain and Sgt Gordon Batt

On a "Sunday", early during the Battle of Britain whilst 238 Squadron were still at Middle Wallop, they intercepted JU88's over Portsmouth and had a running fight with them until they arrived over Bristol.
Sgt Gordon Batt was damaged and force landed at i think Little Risssington?

Does anyone know what the date of this Sunday mentioned was ?
What unit were the JU88's from and did they loose any to 238 on this date ?

Further details in Sgt Banns letter page 398 Battle of Britain Then and Now

Regards
Jon
Old 24th November 2005, 00:52

MasonP is on a distinguished road
Sgt Pilot Eric Bann

When I discovered this mans grave several years ago, I resolved to find out more about him. Little did I know that I was living close to his childhood school and home. More information "popped" up in the form of Matthew Parkers book 'The Battle of Britain July - October 1940' which proved very informative. It's been interesting keeping tabs on the various threads about Sgt Banns last flight but I've found it frustrating to learn that 238 Squadron just happens to be such an unphotographed unit. I wonder if this was because it was reformed during the battle and people had more pressing matters to attend to!

Anyway, thanks to all for filling in some of the gaps about this man as it has been extremely interesting.

Paul.