Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th June 2020, 12:55

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Hans Justus Meier Archive?

By any remote possibility does anyone know what happened to the archive of the former VFW Archivist Hans Justus Meier following his death?

I'd always been under the impression that a number of the documents he used to support articles were held by the former VFW Archiv. This archive now falls under the Airbus Archiv umbrella but recent enquiries have confirmed that my assumptions concerning the extent of material held were quite significantly mistaken, The documents I sought must have formed part of his personal archive which I assume was sold or disposed of in some other way upon his death.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Old 20th January 2021, 16:33

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Hans Justus Meier Archive?

Anyone?
Old 20th January 2021, 18:10
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Steve: I have quite a number of Fw 190 photos which came from Alfred Price. Nothing on the back of them (which is causing me much work identifying them) but I did note in Alfred's book on the Fw 190 that he credits some to VFW-Fokker. A few but not many documents I am afraid.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:39

Chris

Thanks for responding. In just the same way Eddie Creek has received quite a number of photos over the years. This led me to think that this archive still potentially had a lot to offer the researcher. At one point, it had been intended to relocate the archive to the Airbus Archive in Ottobrunn but the decision has been taken for now for it to remain in Bremen. Contact with the 'in situ' archivist confirms the archives holdings are far less sizeable than I'd imagined. This has also been separately confirmed to me by Dietmar Hermann, hence my query as to what might have happened to Meier's archive after his death. I'd had minor contact with him over the years but I'd always assumed everything was held as part of the VFW-Fokker archive. Oh well another lead bites the dust.

Steve
Old 21st January 2021, 14:04
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

As the combination of VFW-Fokker only existed for a few years I do not believe that anything related to Focke Wulf could have ended up in the Fokker company archives in the Netherlands. Anything that was preserved from the Fokker company archives (1919-1996) is kept at the Aviodrome Museum in Lelystad/NL. The complete archive went there shortly after the bankruptcy in 1996.

John
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:07
Alter Hase

Which begs the question where did all the Fw 190 (and presumably other aircraft) photos go? No details on the backs of the photos and the quality and detail are excellent
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:13

They still have some but certainly not the numbers I'd mentally built up in my head.
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:38
Alter Hase

Who has some?
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:05

rof120 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Who has some?
- Possibly the Galland family and heirs: Hans-Hubertus, Isabella, Mrs. Heidi Horn-Galland. (For part of the pictures.) Of course I don't know whether they are prepared to perform the corresponding work and effort.

What about the "Jägerblatt" and the German fighter pilots' society?
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:43
Alter Hase

Steve said "They still have some"; who is they?